Front Shocks & Springs

Snapperpaul

The Tie bars are on and my thoughts immediately went to the shocks and springs,

The Zimmers are 13 1/2 open 9 closed and the springs are 180lb 9" x 1.9.

I fancy lowering the front an inch as the back will be rebuilt and lowered next.

Gaz do 13" open 9" closed and 9" springs 120lbs or 140lbs

Is this the recommended spec for a Series 3, can I go with 1" shorter shocks and springs or just springs?

Advise appreciated as always

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mower man

Hi That spec IMHO is close to perfect, I presume shocks are inboard ? I run 120 lb springs and spax dampers.I think either 130 lb spring rate and or 10" springs may be a better combo [Have had small probs with ride height]HTH mower man[mick]PS dont know damper lengths :good:

think we are all on the same car 111a imboard inclined shocks. so watching with interest.

what ride height are you using, think from memory on mine the tub is 150mm and the sump 100mm RS alloy one and yes it got welded last year.

chris

Hello Paul etc. here is some info about mine which may help, it was in an old Boyz in Hoodz once upon a time!

Front Springs. I think the 180lbs was wrong they were 170 so some of the sums are a bit out. Also with slightly shorter shockers and working inboard, the front suspension will not have so much droop, so on rebound they may be banging on the stops fully extended. I think the ratio on the front wishbones is something like 1:1.4 so half inch shorter on the shock will be about 3/4" at the wheel. I expect 120s would be ok but would not go any lower. Anyway these are my thoughts so I am sure someone else will have other ideas.

Peter

ps. Your understeer will have dissapeared with the tie bar mod. chalk and cheese!

'Springz'

Standard are 9 long 50mm id. 180lbs/in

Installed at 7.5 spring compression which = approx 290 lbs. pre load.

Screwed adjustment approx 2 ie from 9 to 7

Need softer springs

140 lbs would need to be compressed 2 to give preload

130 lbs would need to be compressed 2.25 to give preload

125 lbs would need to be compressed 2.32 to give preload.

110 lbs would need to be compressed 2.63 for preload

Need to have 10 long springs for anything softer than 140?

Softer front springz.

This is to try and save some time and trouble if you want to change the springs on the RHE Zeemeride shockers. The standard sizes for springs to be used with shockers are 1.9 and 2.25 Id. true to form, RHE springs are 50mm which means it is easiest to use their springs otherwise you will have to make up some adaptor seats to suit 2.25 springs. The shock absorbers are probably made for motorcycles which also explains why the eyes are for 3/8 bolts and not ½ which is the norm. My car, a Mk1 S7 was fitted with the standard red springs which are about 180lbs/in and when installed compressed to a length of 71/2 from the free state of 9 . I have changed them to the Lolocost 130lb/in springs which now means I have suspension movement and an improved ride and handling. The problem that I had was that on my shockers there is about 2 of adjustment on the seats and to get the same static pre-load on the springs as the old ones I needed 21/4 so I had to fit a ½ spacer disc under the springs.

I had called Lolocost just before the Newark show and asked if they could take some springs, wishful thinking? When I got there on the Sunday, a pair had been put in the trailer waiting to be collected, I was most impressed and the man was very nice too. As an aside, the 130lb springs are listed in the catalogue as being black but they are in fact red, new supplier apparently, that should avoid any confusion then!

p.s. I know about all this as I had bought some 21/4 springs from AVO in Northampton and discovered they wouldnt fit! They seem to be very nice knowledgeable people there and wish I had the £200 to buy a pair of their beautifully made adjustable units. Perhaps next time.

Peter

Guest mower man

Thanks for confirming my thoughts and settings Peter ,I had to fit a spacer to get a usable ride hieght and am considering 10" springs. I have been able to get the car set fairly neutral and as you say the difference with tie bars is well worth the change mower man :clapping: :good: BTW I am of the opinion that the orig 180 's are to blame for cracks in the tub!!

After ready the reply's once I nearly pressed the buy it now button on Rally Design site but held off and read it again.

I want to get as close to optimum as possible with the shocks and springs, I will buy new shocks as the zimmers while better than the rears will not last.

My thoughts based on the information above is.....,

13 open, 9 closed Gaz shocks 1 3/4 bodies 12. mm rod bushed with 9" 140 spings.

I may have a set of 125 springs coming to try.

Mower man you said 10" 130lb

Peter interesting about the rebound and the pre load, I think I will have to creat a matrix and see where it takes me.

Guest mower man

After ready the reply's once I nearly pressed the buy it now button on Rally Design site but held off and read it again.

I want to get as close to optimum as possible with the shocks and springs, I will buy new shocks as the zimmers while better than the rears will not last.

My thoughts based on the information above is.....,

13 open, 9 closed Gaz shocks 1 3/4 bodies 12. mm rod bushed with 9" 140 spings.

I may have a set of 125 springs coming to try.

Mower man you said 10" 130lb

Peter interesting about the rebound and the pre load, I think I will have to creat a matrix and see where it takes me.

Yes the 120's I have on at pres are wound up to far and spacered I think 10" as apposed to 9"and a10lb increase may be a better setup I would like to keep it nice and neutral ,awaiting comments mower man :good:

Guest The Modfather

I too have the 3a on zimmers, and have £400 waiting to spend on new shocks, but I am confused with all the rates and lengths so far posted :pardon: :pardon: :pardon:

Can someone suggest what I should be looking at for a "middle of the road" style setting. Don't want a harsh ride, don't want a soft ride, just comfortable. If anyone can suggest what I should go for, as all these figures are confusing me!

Paul, Pete or Mick????

Thanks guys

Daz

Guest mower man

Hi Daz first thing the spring rates etc that have been bouncing [oops maybe wrong word] about are for inboard front shocker eqpt cars ,thats what I know or have found by trial and error if you car has out board shock these figs are not of any use to you ok .As said my car has been set up with 120lb 9" springs but to get a usable ride height I ha ve had to use a spacer under the spring and wind the spring up to far in my opinion ,so I am thinking of 10" springs @130lbs to give the same height but with less static load on the spring .I like the way it handles at the moment and don't want that to change ok my results may be pure luckbut it does seem to work .To give you some insight buy ,beg or borrow a copy of Competition car suapension by Allan Staniforth it can be bit heavy but has taught me a lot. the main reason Iwanted to soften thefront was to reduce the tub cracking probs with the rock hard set up as std the handling improvements were realy a bonus. The book will help with the maths also bye for now mick [mower man] :pardon: :yahoo: :crazy: 8P

Guest mower man

Hi Daz I honestly think its a pay your money and take the chance situation. Ihave Spax on the car at pres but dont realy like the adjust system ,if money was not a limiting factor custom made Ohlins would be goodbut they are stupid exp [800/900£each ] sensible choice would be Gaz ,reasonable prices and I have a good dealer on my doorstep who goes the extra mile to help, Damper tech on 01709 730992 www.dampertech.co.uk Dave is a great guy and I have had a couple of deals with him and have another in mind when I can afford it .He sells v good quality springs aswellHTH mick [mower man] :good: :yahoo: ps the rears are the next step at present it is on std Sierra springs and long Gaz shocks

Guest mower man

I have bitten the bulit and ordered Gaz shocks 13" open 9" closed, I have a set of 125lb 9" springs from a Locostbuilder, this leaves me a little cash leeway if I need to go up in poundage and length

That sounds like a very sensible combo and agood route to take regards mower man :clapping:

Rally Design do Gaz for £50 each, when you add VAT and delivery it's £130 a pair, springs ar £15 to £23 + VAT

The rears I am looking at next, fitting a Quafe ATB and have this foolish plan to build a Haynes rear end cradle and convert to double wishbone, don't hold your breath though, takes me years to complete projects but that's half the fun.