Front Shocks & Springs

Snapperpaul

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Modfather

Thanks for the heads up Paul, I will certainly need this info. Can I just clarify what the tube was used for, and where did you get this tube from?

It will be a few weeks before I tackle the front end but if I need to order anything then this will give me the time to gather those bits together.

Thanks mate.

Daz

I thought that drilling out the top wishbone to take 13mm bolt would be to much (weaken the welded tubes) so sleeved the shock top mount to take a 10mm bolt.

It was just a bit of tube the right size I had lying about.

Edited by Snapperpaul

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply, the original shock mounts on the wishbones are left to original diameter, just ground back for the wider shock top mount, the Gaz shock top mount is sleeved to the Robin Hood original 10mm bolt.

Guest The Modfather

Sorry for the late reply, the original shock mounts on the wishbones are left to original diameter, just ground back for the wider shock top mount, the Gaz shock top mount is sleeved to the Robin Hood original 10mm bolt.

Hi Paul.

Yeah we found the same problem yesterday. Hopefully there is someone who can make me some sleeves tomorrow, and I'll get some new bolts as the top ones didn't have long enough shoulders, and half the thread was inside the original shock mounts.

I will post my findings when I get the sleeves made!!!!

Daz

Guest The Modfather

Daz have a look at the link below for an idea on bushing your shockers

Shocks

Hi Steve, hope you are all well?

I didn't think of that idea at all. Nice one! I will have a look at the sleeves condition, as my bolts were a bit rusty, so not sure what the inside of the sleeve is like.

If they're good then I will measure it all up.

Cheers Steve

Daz

Guest The Modfather

:yahoo: My shocks are on!!!! :yahoo:

I fitted the old sleeves inside the new as you have said, bit of pig pressing them in, but they got there in the end. I now have 10mm shouldered bolts both ends with nylocs. On the top of the shocks I used two washers either side of the the shock ring, heavily greased as this appears not to have ever been done before. At the bottom I used the old top spacers (cleaned up) and one washer either side, againg heavily greased, and they are snug as a bug! Pics to follow.

The main suspension pivot point bolt was cleaned with emery paper, I place the bolt in the drill press and spun it up while wrapping the emery around it, came up much cleaner. I will I think drill and tap the tube for a grease nipple to keep this topped up. Has anyone else done this? What size nipple did you use?

So, I now have suspension that moves! Can't wait to try it. Oh dang, I still have loads of wiring to do before I get that far. Never mind. :sorry: :sorry: :sorry:

Daz