Polishing Grp

Guest Mike Hatton

Guest Mike Hatton

My series IIIa is now over 3 years old and the nose cone and wings are looking very dull.

What is the best way to bring back that just built shine?

Should I use T-cut?

What polish?

A dedicated polisher or drill attachment?

Thanks in advance :rolleyes:

Mike.

Guest JohnS

T-Cut would be fine

Other polishing / cutting compounds such as G10 avalable from paint shops,

I find that Autosol chrome/stainless polish also works well on milky areas its course but not to hard on things,

Unless you have a lot to do I would not use a mechanical polisher as this can leave marks and or burn the surface if not kept wet enough,

2 or 3 hours on the drive sunny sunday morning hand polishing should see you done,

After that Autoglym (super resin polish) easy to apply and take off she will look like new, I also use the Autoglym on the stainless.

JohnS

If the colour is very faded you may need to cut back using wet & dry paper, used wet, starting with 400 grade which will take out any imperfections in the surface. Then progress through 800, 1000, 1500 to get a fine mat finish which will polish up beautifully with T-cut then wax. Use lots of water throughout. If you are patient you can end up with a finish like a top paint job.

Nigel

In the build video for the DOHC kits, Richard uses a polishing mop on the end of a drill, after first rubbing down with varying grades of wet&dry. The effect looked quite good... given that to start with he puts a great big scratch in the grp with a stanley knife blade.

This is an old piece of footage by the way, so it is probably on ther build videos.

Regards

JonB

Guest Mr Pid

Follow what Nigel said and you should have a brilliant finish, but patience is a big factor tho, a little tip- dont fold the wet and dry back on itself and this has a slight tendancy to remove figerprints, alothough this might be handy depending on what side of the law you operate on!! :D

:rolleyes:

Guest boggie

I did this job last weekend. I used 1000 grade oxide paper with plenty of soapy water and followed this with T-cut. Next I applied plenty of Autoglym polish and sealed the finish with Gloss Guard (both available from Halfords). Now looks fantastic and even managed to impress the local insect colonies!

Boggie