Pinto 205 Block - Codes ?

Guest mighty2b

Guest mighty2b

I've a spare engine, told its a 2ltr and the block is clearly a 205 with a Code of NAT stamped on the lug.

From Google this is from a Transit and is low compression

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Pinto_engine

Knowing it could be modified to HC at sometime, is there anyway it could be checked for either LC or HC by not removing the head but by doing compression tests or any other way.

thanks

I wasn't aware the blocks were different but am sure I will be told different.

Basically, the 205, 185 and 165 were the same block mated up to different capacity and spec top ends.

Please don't take this as gospel as I haven't a clue where I know this from but just one of those things you pick up (like the points gap is about the width of a Rizzla card. ;) )

Guest robinj66

I wasn't aware the blocks were different but am sure I will be told different.

Basically, the 205, 185 and 165 were the same block mated up to different capacity and spec top ends.

The 205 block was reportedly a better (thicker) casting which made for a much stronger short engine. This block was used to attach Cosworth etc. heads

The later blocks marked with a 205 cast in have a slightly thicker bore wall and thicker sump and rockercover lips.

Some do not have a rear core plug.

The compression on a Pinto is controlled / set by the piston deck height.

The 205 block was reportedly a better (thicker) casting which made for a much stronger short engine. This block was used to attach Cosworth etc. heads

I think the 2WD was on the 205 (and the YB??) but the 4x4 was on a 200.

I was not aware that the 205 was any thicker than a 185 but the 200 may be? Not 100% sure.

If anyone knows a definitive resource or guide that explains it better, I would be interested in reading up on it.