4 Speed Box - Convert To - 5 Speed Box

Guest joehale

Guest joehale

Hey guys, My first topic so be kind!

I have an S7 with 2.0L pinto on a 4 speed box.....

Box is now dead and i am looking to fit a 5 speed type 9, yea?

I have heard that the type 9 is longer but the same bell housing? is this correct? If so does anyone know the diff between them and problems i need to overcome?

Any advise at all is welcome!!

Cheers!

Joe

Edited by joehale

Guest robinj66

If you send me a pm with an email address i will send you a couple of photos. Can't upload them because i haven't got round to renewing membership yet

Guest The Modfather

Hey guys, My first topic so be kind!

I have an S7 with 2.0L pinto on a 4 speed box.....

Box is now dead and i am looking to fit a 5 speed type 9, yea?

I have heard that the type 9 is longer but the same bell housing? is this correct? If so does anyone know the diff between them and problems i need to overcome?

Any advise at all is welcome!!

Cheers!

Joe

Hi Joe, and welcome.

The type 9 is longer to accommodate the 5th gear in the tail housing. Its about 2" longer. The splines are also different being 23, whereas your 4 speed is either 19 or 21, can't remember. I have a 4 speed gearbox and bellhousing here for £50 if you want? No whines or grumbles, removed to replace with a V6 type 9, which incidentally is also longer in the lay shaft by 24mm, so if you go this route you will need to buy or make a spacer. If you go with a type 9 you will need to have a new prop as the splines wont match.

Daz

Guest joehale

Hi Joe, and welcome.

The type 9 is longer to accommodate the 5th gear in the tail housing. Its about 2" longer. The splines are also different being 23, whereas your 4 speed is either 19 or 21, can't remember. I have a 4 speed gearbox and bellhousing here for £50 if you want? No whines or grumbles, removed to replace with a V6 type 9, which incidentally is also longer in the lay shaft by 24mm, so if you go this route you will need to buy or make a spacer. If you go with a type 9 you will need to have a new prop as the splines wont match.

Daz

Thanks for that DAZ - Where are you based, Might just do the 4 speed, save one hell of a job if i do that!!

Guest The Modfather

It certainly sounds easier. Chris N has the S7 so knows what he's talking about. I'm in North Hants, about 10 miles south of Reading, Berkshire. I know to send by parcel it's about £30.

Daz

Guest The Modfather

Also, a 5 speed type 9 bellhousing WILL NOT fit the 4 speed box, but does have the same bolt holes to attach to the engine, if that makes sense?

Daz

Guest joehale

It certainly sounds easier. Chris N has the S7 so knows what he's talking about. I'm in North Hants, about 10 miles south of Reading, Berkshire. I know to send by parcel it's about £30.

Daz

Sounds like we have a deal, if the total is £80 im happy. Will save me hassle!!

PM me and will arrange shortly.

Thanks!!

If you go with a type 9 you will need to have a new prop as the splines wont match.

You may need to get a new prop shaft anyway if you prop has a rubber doughnut fitted on the gearbox end :o as they have a been known to fail in a big way =@ its happened to me and many others so change it for one with a U/J. you have been warned ;)

Guest joehale

I have a one piece prop also if you need it? Came from this gearbox. £30, PM me if you want it Joe

Thanks for the offer but i already have a one piece prop. Seemed safer at the time!

Cheers