Sierra Stalks

Guest stug1985-2005

Guest stug1985-2005

hi guys, I have Sierra mk1 stalks. just connecting them up the now. my side lights come on when switched but when I switch it up for dip beam they don't come on same with flash, doesn't come on constantly but does when I flash them. I've sent 12v down dip and main and they both work so relay is ok jst wondering if the stalks are a nackered or I've missed out an earth somewhere? thanx

Guest stug1985-2005

I've earthed the female spade on right hand stalk and earthed where the fixing screw is on right stalk. thick cable I've used. is that all I have to earth? is everything earthed throu the switch?

Guest stug1985-2005

got my multimeater out. getting ground on pin 56 and pin 56b when dip beam is switched. tried both ov them but still nuthin. getting ground on pin 56a when main beam is switched and flashed. but only works on flash? I tried both the w/o main beam and o/b dip beam that goes to relay on the wiper switch to c if it does work when switched nd both work when I switch that?

Guest stug1985-2005

I had a good look at my stalks. I haven't got a pin 15 just a pin 31 in it's place. but doesn't give 12 v to lights. the flash takes a difo feed and is working, so is sidelights. jst trying to figure out wot pin gives the headlights a feed. they are 1982 stalks so are old ones.

Guest The Modfather

Hi Marv.

It might help if you draw a diagram of the back of your stalk switches giving all of the numbers. Were there any tails attached to the stalks, as colours would help also? I know I had help doing mine, and I spent a couple of hours on the phone talking through the process of wiring. We managed to wire mine even though we didn't know what Ford they were from, so it is doable.

Daz

Right hand column switch.

The lights on/off switch is on the right hand stalk.

Power in to the stalk for sidelights is 30. Power out to the sidelights is 58.

Power in to the stalk for dip/main should be 15. Power out to the dipswitch in left stalk is S54.

Left hand column switch.

Flash and switching between dip and main beam are on the left hand stalk.

Power in for flash is 15. Power out to flash main beam is 56A.

Power in for dip switch is 56 (But remember this comes from S54 on the right stalk). Power out to main is 56A and to dip is 56B.

You say you haven't got a 15 on the right stalk. Look again carefully. I hope you are wrong. If not then search for a terminal that has continuity with S54 when the switch is in position for 'headlights on' and everything else is off and this should be the headlight feed. Give it an ignition live feed.

Pin 31 is just an earth and should be wired to ground.

Nigel

Guest stug1985-2005

switch pin ford gbs purpose

headlights 15 brown white (thin) ignition

headlights 56 brown black brown black link

headlights 56a brown yellow white orange main beam

headlights 56b brown white orange black dip beam

indicators 30 red brown (thin) constant feed

indicators 49 black red green flasher relay feed

indicators 54 black white (thin) ignition

indicators 49a black white green yellow feed to flasher unit

indicators L black white green red left indicators

indicators R black green black green right indicators

lights 30 red brown (thin) constant feed

lights 31 brown white (thin)

lights 55 empty

lights 56 brown black brown black link add wire to fog light switch

lights 58 grey red side lights

wipers 53 green yellow blue slow speed

wipers 54 black violet white (thin) ignition

wipers 53-2 black green

wipers 53a black violet

wipers 53B red grey red fast speed

wipers 53c black orange washers

wipers B1 brown white

wipers B2 brown yellow

wipers W black yellow

ignition switch black yellow white (thick) ignition

ignition switch red brown (thick) main feed

ignition switch black blue white red starter

ignition switch yellow accessory

red white horn

black earth

grey fuel sender

yellow black brake warning

I got this from Gbs. everything works brill apart from main and dip. I havent got the pin 15 nd the link between the two stalks is 56 and 56, havnt got s 54? I get continuity on w, 53c and 53-2 to pin 56 when dip switch is on. so I tried giving them feed nd just blew the ignition fuse. so to rule out the relay wiring I put the dip an then the main beam on a pin that got a love feed nd switched on no bother. il try earth 31, jst it says that it's a 12v feed?

Ok, I'm seperated from most of my notes and think I may have an error in my above post.

Power in to the stalk for dip/main should be 15
I think the right stalk should have two possible 'power in' wires. Batt live to 30 and ign live to 54. I haven't got pics of the internals of the sierra switches so not sure which should link with 56 when the headlight switch is on. One should.

Further point of confusion. The numbering you list from GBS is for later style stalks. The ones that use negative switched relays for dip and main. Wiper stalk switched supply 53c to the washer and earth back through W. Wiper park and intermittent terminals B1 B2. Part numbers 87BG***** 90BG*****

Earlier stalks used positive switched relays or none at all for the lights. Ignition live supply to the washer seperate from the stalks and then a switched earth 53c on the stalks to control. Park and intermittent are 31B1 and 31B2.

Part numbers 83BG*****

W and 53c are not in continuity through the switch. Ones the washer feed, tother's the washer earth (although they are in continuity through the washer motor!) Their functions are opposite in the two switches, 53c can be a switched live or a switched earth. Just like 56-56 can be switched live in early switches or switched earth in later switches.

You need to be sure which switches you have, then wire correctly for that type and use the correct crib of terminal numbers for those switches.

Nigel