Sierra Stalks

Guest stug1985-2005

Interesting. Shows the 15 supply for the heads on/off and the S54-56 link. That's the same as the terminals I had recorded for the 83BG*** switches. There do seem to be variations. Perhaps clearer id of the stalks is needed and the terminal numbers on them that you have Marv. And the part numbers!

Nigel

Traditionaly 15 is switched live (ignition). If its permanently wired then depending on how the headlight relays are wired it may cause an issue. The headlight relays & or headlights may work when the ignition off, but that may be want you want?

Guest stug1985-2005

thanx mate. il be back at my car on sat. so il try a few things wot u said and if no luck il take a picture ov both the stock pins so u can c the numbers nd c wot u think.

Guest stug1985-2005

rite I decided to go to ma car before saterday so you's guys can no wot am dealing with.

main relay. dip relay.

pin 86- to column pin 86-to column

pin 85-earth. pin 85-earth

pin 30- to lights. pin 30-to lights

pin 87- to 12v fuse. pin 87-to 12v fuse

left stalk. ford 87bg13b 302 AA ( 30924 is on other side of

9119 20. relay)

g48190 ( this is printed on back ov hazard

relay)

pin numbers. blank. ( no pins in

place)

31. 54. L

56a. R. 49a

56b H30. blank

56. blank. blank

right hand stalk. ford vo 32031

87. bg

Guest stug1985-2005

bg 11k665. da

pin numbers.

53b. 53a. 53c

54. 30. 58

53. w. 53-2

31b1. 31b2. 56

the link was between 56 and 56 on the plugs. my engine is a 1982 but maby my stalks arent

Guest stug1985-2005

bg 11k665. da

pin numbers.

53b. 53a. 53c

54. 30. 58

53. w. 53-2

31b1. 31b2. 56

the link was between 56 and 56 on the plugs. my engine is a 1982 but maby my stalks arent. there is an earth on the throu the hole that connects throu colomn. and a male spade on the top above pin 31b2. thanx.

Guest stug1985-2005

done more continuity testing on it nd 56 link to 56b when dip beam switch is on does ground. then when main is switched it switches ground to 56a. so will need to supply 12v to relay rather than earth. then my switch will earth the realy making it live. true?

From the part numbers it does sound like you have the later stalks. So it's all easy from here.

So you would be right in thinking supply 12volts to pins 85 on the two relays. Pins 86 links back to 56A and 56B on the left column switch. These link to earth back through the dip switch on the left hand stalk, then through 56-56 between the stalks back to the on/off switch in the right hand stalk. Then internaly in the right hand stalk to pin 15 to earth. Yes the terminal 15 that is traditionaly an ignition switched live supply is in this case an earth or honorary 31. I can only think ford were intending to wire the heads much the same as earlier sierras with pos switched supply to their relays but changed their minds to negative switching after they had ordered a gazillion column switches with pos switching numbers on them and it was too late to get the numbers changed from 15 to 31.

For the washers 53C is a switched positive out to the washer motor. You can earth the washer motor at some convenient point beside it or bring the earth back to W which is just a dumb earth pin on the right hand column switch.

Nigel

"done more continuity testing on it nd 56 link to 56b when dip beam switch is on does ground. then when main is switched it switches ground to 56a. so will need to supply 12v to relay rather than earth. then my switch will earth the realy making it live. true?"

That's right, just make sre that the 12v is ignition rather than permanent, unless you want to able to turn your headlights on without ignition being on.

Guest stug1985-2005

that's it guys all done. had bit ov problem with my fog light wiring. cos I wired it for a live feed it was bringing a bad earth throu my lights. but changed it and my lights work perfect. thanx to all your help