Oil Extractor

Redspec

Any one used a vacuum oil extractor to change the oil, the oil change is due on the wifes tin top and the belly pan will need to come off to do this, so I was thinking about getting one of these if they are any good.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-LITRE-OIL-FLUID-EXTRACTOR-PUMP-SILVERLINE-104616-L-/120556578051?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item1c11bb6503

Any thoughts?

Guest shorty

Any one used a vacuum oil extractor to change the oil, the oil change is due on the wifes tin top and the belly pan will need to come off to do this, so I was thinking about getting one of these if they are any good.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-LITRE-OIL-FLUID-EXTRACTOR-PUMP-SILVERLINE-104616-L-/120556578051?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item1c11bb6503

Any thoughts?

Hi Steve I used a similar (cheaper one) to pump out the gearbox oil I must admit I was very impressed with the result.took out every drop of oil.HTH Arthur

Why spend money on what your vaccuum cleaner can do? :unsure: 1 gallon can,preferably metal,punch a hole in the top to take 10mm oil collection tube, tight push fit. (don't drill it,too sharp)Stick tube down dip stick & hold vac hose almost over cans normal spout; don't seal the connection cause the can will collapse. Air out = oil in :rolleyes:

I have a Pela Oil Extractor Click here which works great if you can get the pipe all the way down the dipstick tube into the bottom of the sump. Worked OK on my Zafira diesel but will not go down on a Berlingo diesel or a Fiesta diesel, the tube gets stuck at the bottom of the dipstick tube. Before investing in one it would be worth while finding an a similar type tube and make sure it can go right down to the bottom of the sump. The Pela tube is the same as a net curtain wire and is about 5 or 6mm in diameter.

Guest Larson250

Hi,

Use a Pela one on my boat engine, works perfect if you warm the oil first by running the engine.

Dean

Edited by Larson250

Hi Steve

I have one of the Pela extractors if you want to borrow it,

as said the only issue you might have is the tube wont go to bottom of sump.

When I did my tintop I parked on a slope and it got every drop.

Cheers Paul

Why spend money on what your vaccuum cleaner can do? :unsure: 1 gallon can,preferably metal,punch a hole in the top to take 10mm oil collection tube, tight push fit. (don't drill it,too sharp)Stick tube down dip stick & hold vac hose almost over cans normal spout; don't seal the connection cause the can will collapse. Air out = oil in :rolleyes:

Great idea but we dont have an old vac now and I like my balls where they are, so using the wifes good one is out of the question :vava:

I have a Pela Oil Extractor Click here which works great if you can get the pipe all the way down the dipstick tube into the bottom of the sump. Worked OK on my Zafira diesel but will not go down on a Berlingo diesel or a Fiesta diesel, the tube gets stuck at the bottom of the dipstick tube. Before investing in one it would be worth while finding an a similar type tube and make sure it can go right down to the bottom of the sump. The Pela tube is the same as a net curtain wire and is about 5 or 6mm in diameter.

Thanks will check that, I am starting to like the Idea of not having to crawl under the car so I will try all the cars until I find one it will fit. LOL

Hi Steve

I have one of the Pela extractors if you want to borrow it,

as said the only issue you might have is the tube wont go to bottom of sump.

When I did my tintop I parked on a slope and it got every drop.

Cheers Paul

Thanks for the offer Paul but if the tube fits (I have some 6mm nylon at work I will try) I think I will just get one, as I say it will come in handy for all the cars (even the Hood), and with the price of fuel it will pay for it's self after a few times.

Thanks to all

I'm sure the floor pan will have an access panel to the oil drain? All the tin tops I've worked on had access panels to make normal servicing faster for the dealers.

It probably does but I could not see one when I had a look at the weekend, it's a Freelander TD4. If it has it would still need to be lifted high enough to see through the inspection hole to undo the sump plug, then dropped level to drain the oil, then jacked back up to re fit the sump plug, with the filter being on top of the engine I thought this would be the way to go if they worked.

Just wish I had room for a 2 post hoist then I could save £18-00 LOL

Just becoming lazy :lazy: as I get older and if there is a tool to make life easier I WANT ONE :D

Thirty years ago when I lived in Denmark almost every garage had a dipstick oil extractor along side the air line and valet equipment. Just remember to get the engine up to working temperature before begining to suck (ooo arrr missus):-)

Guest chris brown

It probably does but I could not see one when I had a look at the weekend, it's a Freelander TD4.

IIRC the Freelander doesn't have a cut-out in the bottom pan and to make things worse you need it on a lift to remove and refit it as it is has a huge ally frame that comes down with it BTW not many cars these days have drain flaps or panels and lots still have access to the filter from underneath.