Fuel Pipes

Guest danny_samb

Guest danny_samb

hi all, what size fuel pipes is best to use, i was looking at 8mm id, is this too big or just right, also what is best the rubber hose or braided hose

Thanks

I would suggest 8mm and prefer copper with a little fuel grade rubber hose at the joins to tank and carbs. I know GBS issued plastice pipe in the kits, ultimatly your choice.

Thats my opinion some else will be along shortly to advise their opinion.

Guest Chutney

I used a bit of everything, but then I like to do things exactly the opposite of the best way. ( probably the wrong way.)

Battery is in the boot, swirl pot is under the bonnet, zetec still has factory inlet on it, the loom is in the cellar so god knows how that will work.

I'd have said the Gbs plastic stuff is fine else it wouldn't exist.

The GBS plastic (Nylon) pipe is OK, but only OK, you need documentation to pass IVA, copper does not, clamping rubber (or braided) pipe to it is a little more complicated as it crushes easily.

I use 8mm microbore with fuel injection rubber pipe that way if I go EFI in the future the pipes are safe.

Beware of braided unless it is fuel proof (and says so) I had all braided lines in the engine bay, bought from a show as braided fuel pipe, they leaked like a sieve the day before SVA.

Guest dinger

If you buy your fuel lines from Sytec then you can download a spec sheet of all their hose specs, the Braided cotton has the specs printed an the hose itself but the stainless braided stuff will need the paperwork to go with it as its not printed on the pipe,

Copper pipe is ok to use for the length of the car, flexible fuel hose to the shortest possible,

I had the same problem Paul, bought some cheap braided stuff from a well known kit car supplier and i couldnt get the stuff to seal, Ended up getting the expensive stuff and all is ok,,, remember, Buy cheap and pay twice!!!!!!

We all learn the hard way though, lol

Guest smartfazer

The GBS plastic (Nylon) pipe is OK, but only OK, you need documentation to pass IVA, copper does not, clamping rubber (or braided) pipe to it is a little more complicated as it crushes easily.

I use 8mm microbore with fuel injection rubber pipe that way if I go EFI in the future the pipes are safe.

Beware of braided unless it is fuel proof (and says so) I had all braided lines in the engine bay, bought from a show as braided fuel pipe, they leaked like a sieve the day before SVA.

Paul,

I am using purpose built 8mm ID copper fuel pipe for the length of the car. I didn't realise that this needs IVA documentation to pass :shok:

I am also going to be using high pressure (injection) hose all round (either braided or non-braided) for the connecting bits.

What microbore 8mm are you using? Rubber or Copper?

Steve

PS: Chutney, whereabouts in the boot did you fit the Battery? Where did you run the positive power cable, through the chassis? Any pics?

Carb use only

I fitted s/s over braided to then find it perished so had to retro fit copper.

I would fit copper where poss then injection hose each end.

Stephen

No documentation needed for copper micro bore.

Rubber pipe should have markings on it.

It's only the nylon stuff that needs documentation.

Some braided hose leaks if it's not meant for fuel.

Running braided all the way from tank to carbs is in my opinion a waste of money as most can't be seen.

Guest danny_samb

So I can run copper down the tunnel and use rubber overbraided to connect to tank and carbs, should I flare the ends of the copper pipe to put the silicone onto, what copper pipe do I need just 8mm id