Mot Emissions

Guest oldman

Guest oldman

just failed mot on emissions according to log book date of registration 07/03/1984 first registration 12/09/2005 do i need emissions check or is it visual only cheers ray goddard

Guest Alan_builder

just failed mot on emissions according to log book date of registration 07/03/1984 first registration 12/09/2005 do i need emissions check or is it visual only cheers ray goddard

I take it you mean you has an SVA on the 12/09/2005?

If that is the case your logboog (V5) should say on the bottom of the front page what the emission levels are.

For sure the level for 1990 is Co 3.5 and HC 1200, I am not sure when the date changed from visual smoke, the change dates are on a big form at the MOT station. I suspect most Sierras fall in this figure, just pop to the MOT man.

Lots of MOT men get it wrong especially if you don't take your V5. Often they say Kit car = visual test, good but not correct.

If your V5 is not endorsed you may have a problem now. Did you give proof of the age of your engine at the SVA? The single donor status and first reg date are not enough. The Burton catalogue gives engine manufacture date from engine number, that's indisputable. So can you prove THEY have messed up your documentation?

Keep us updated so we can go step by step.

Alan

Guest robinj66

There must be something going round with MOT testers - a garage tried to tell me my cobra had to meet 2005 emissions even though the V5 says different. Been MOT'd every year since 2005!!! :pardon:

If your V5 doesn't have the emissions on it (see section 3 "special notes" then do you have a copy of the MAC - there is a code on there which confirms the emissions. I know this because my tester got it wrong :o

Guest Noddy006

Hi Oldman

I am probably wrong but I thought if you have an age related plate them emmission requirements should be based on that year. If registered as a new car with new number then emmissions according to that year apply. If Q plate then date first reg 1984?? should be used for requirement. HTH Ian H

Guest Alan_builder

Hi Oldman

I am probably wrong but I thought if you have an age related plate them emmission requirements should be based on that year. If registered as a new car with new number then emmissions according to that year apply. If Q plate then date first reg 1984?? should be used for requirement. HTH Ian H

Hi Ian,

That I think is the end statement, not the qualitative level of the test to be performed.

At the MOT test when they log into the DVLA computer your details come up. If you challenge the emission test at that point the tester can adjust the pass fail level or maybe they just read the instructions carefully! It does seem to make a difference. I get the impression that once the test starts there is an understood agreement that the tester and submitting agent agree on the pass fail criteria. After the tests conclusion it seems you can only challenge the MOT as per laid out details.

Alan

Guest MarkB

if it is on a Q plate, then it is treated as a pre 1975 vehicle which is a visual test, if you have a new reg, then it has to abide by the emissions set out by VOSA .20 c/o 200 h/c etc etc, if you are on an age related plate and it is pre 1991/92 then it automaticly gets a limit of 3.5 c/o 1200 h/c at idle. if your plate runs in the 92 onwards bracket then we either a: go by the information provided on the vt40 emissions identifier which is information provided by dvla who get their info from VOSA or the emmisions data guide supplied by vosa, if your engine is not listed in the book then it goes on a standard test.

simples

pps if yoru co's are a bit out, most testers will let you adjust your c/o's whilst the pipes up, so to be fair if you are a pre 75 emiisions vehicle its still worth while asking the tester to pop it on a standard test just so you know its running well.

not all testers know nowt and most are happy to help kit/classic car drivers

Guest Alan_builder

Hi Mark B,

You are obviously an MOT tester or work in a closely related job. I would ask some questions relating to the links between IVA / SVA and subsequent MOT's once the vehicle is 3 years old.

I have to ask are you 100% sure on the bit below?

if it is on a Q plate, then it is treated as a pre 1975 vehicle which is a visual test,

So at IVA I declare my car not to be built from a single donor so it will get a Q plate, it has a new engine and I only get a smoke test?

I think at IVA you have to prove the age of the engine if you want other than the latest emission figures, and the vehicle then carries those emissions for the date of engine manufacture. If you can't prove the date of engine manufacture you get the latest numbers to meet.

When you go for an MOT your registration is entered into the computer provided by VOSA and sent to VOSA, your information and emission levels are sent back to the test station. With mass produced cars manufacturers provide DVLA with this data. With KIT CARS, VOSA tells DVLA via the MAK certificate this data. When a car is registered DVLA tell VOSA the details for that registration number.

My very helpful MOT tester always says to me it a smoke test and I say NO its on the V5 and show him, post 1975 and pre 1992 levels a limit of 3.5 c/o 1200 h/c at idle. I don't know how well the emission tester is connected to the VOSA computer, vis if the tester performed the wrong test would VOSA be any the wiser and would the MOT be VALID?

if you have a new reg, then it has to abide by the emissions set out by VOSA .20 c/o 200 h/c etc etc, if you are on an age related plate and it is pre 1991/92 then it automaticly gets a limit of 3.5 c/o 1200 h/c at idle. if your plate runs in the 92 onwards bracket then we either a: go by the information provided on the vt40 emissions identifier which is information provided by dvla who get their info from VOSA or the emmisions data guide supplied by vosa, if your engine is not listed in the book then it goes on a standard test.

So being a bit pedantic it's not the age related plate that automatically get a limit of 3.5 c/o 1200 h/c at idle, it what happened at SVA/IVA, yes 99.9% of age related cars have that level but the tester should check rather than assume.

I am not sure I understand - "if your engine is not listed in the book then it goes on a standard test" means to us.

As you say my MOT man is excellent, out with the laptop computer and trim the emission levels for a pass. We have a W reg kit car declared new at first registration, it has no CAT and strange engine manufacturers figures to meet as the engine was an old design and re-manufactured.

pps if yoru co's are a bit out, most testers will let you adjust your c/o's whilst the pipes up, so to be fair if you are a pre 75 emiisions vehicle its still worth while asking the tester to pop it on a standard test just so you know its running well.

I 100% agree, if you are running week you are burning the valves out, what rate of damage is indeterminable.

not all testers know nowt and most are happy to help kit/classic car drivers

I believe MOT test stations are encouraged by VOSA to be helpful and do emission test without an MOT as they hope people will then drive cleaner cars. So 100% most testers are helpful.

So Mark B, what you say is what goes on, but it's not quite what was meant to happen and not what VOSA and the DVLA have told me should happen. I don't do MOT's and only have the memory of the computer screen, equipment and results to fill in the blanks and of course I don't know for sure if either or both, DVLA and VOSA have miss lead me.

Guest Christine

My old Q plate was a visual check only, as is my current P plate kit.

If you're current MOT tester doesn't know what a Q plate test should be then perhaps you should be looking for somewhere else to take your car as what else doesn't he/she know?

My Q plate is visual, I asked at the station and was told that Q plate is visual, then I was asked Can I take her up the road? :friends: