Engine Problems

gomatthome

Looking for suggestions.

i am currently having a problem with the running of my engine which is a standard 2l pinto on standard injection. The car will start and runs for about five mins at which point it just dies and wont start again for about 15 mins. When cold it will start agin but again only for a short time.

Recent circumstances:-

On the way back from the last RH open day (very wet on way home) the car ran ok for first 5 to 10 miles and then stopped it then started again but was running at best on 3 cylinders or so it seemed but got me the 30 or so miles back home. i put this down to water in the electrics as it was fine on the way there.

Have not had the car out on the road again until wed night this week as am currently building a Zero so this is where i am concentrating my time.

However i did have time to take the head off as the oil stem seals needed replacing and at the same time took the opportunity to re grind the valves. i used all new gaskets and bolts etc when replacing the head. Timing is set up ok i am sure that the problem does not lie here but mention it just in case its relevant.

I am sure its an electrical problem and before i start stripping everything down to check for shorts / bad connections i just thought i would ask if anyone has any suggestions where to look. The fuel pump is working so i dont think this is where the problem is. oh and yes there is fuel in the tank.

any helpful suggestions?

phil

coil overheating perhaps? i'm sure someone on here had a similar problem a year ago which turned out to be the coil.

simple to check i guess as it'll just be a case of touching it (be careful if it is hot) when it cuts out.

hth

Not sure how the Pinto EFi system works, so please forgive me if i'm spouting bollox, lol, only i had a very similar

problem once on a RV8 EFi system.

I diagnosed that as a poor earth for the injectors so they weren't firing properly. The engine started cold no problem

every time, but as yours is, it died within a few minutes. The reason it started cold was due to the 5th injector (9th on the V8)

or commonly called the cold start injector. This is controlled by the ecu and fires fuel direct into the plenum. Just enough to get it

running, then as the engine warms up, the ecu switches off the 5th injector and the engine dies. Obviously, a restart won't

occur until the engine is cool enough for the ECU to use the cold start again.

HTH somewhat, :hi:

Nick.

Have now had chance to check coil - not getting hot and also switched coils this is not the problem.

earth looks ok -so don't think this is the prob

checked the fuel tank is venting so not this.

also checked as far as i can without taking all the wiring to bits and cant see any obvious shorts / loose plugs

But still it fires up ok when cold and then after five mins stops and wont start again very frustrating.

not sure what to check next has anyone had a similar problem in the past

if cant sort out looks like will be missing Stoneley

phil

Have now had chance to check coil - not getting hot and also switched coils this is not the problem.

earth looks ok -so don't think this is the prob

checked the fuel tank is venting so not this.

also checked as far as i can without taking all the wiring to bits and cant see any obvious shorts / loose plugs

But still it fires up ok when cold and then after five mins stops and wont start again very frustrating.

not sure what to check next has anyone had a similar problem in the past

if cant sort out looks like will be missing Stoneley

phil

It wasn't the main engine earth that was the problem. The injectors are earthed by the ECU as it switches them.

The earth problem i had was within the engine loom itself.... many hours with the multi meter to find it. :shok: