Main Live Wire From Battery

Guest danny_samb

Thanks I think the loop seems the way I'm going to go, what connectors would you use to link all the terminals

The way I did it was to get a length of Jump lead, (which when all the strands are twisted together is too fat to fit into most connectors) and split it into four twisted strands at one end and these then fed into a 10 way 30A choc block. I could then take the other side of the choc block to the fuse box and also extend the number of connections.

I will try and post a picture tonight..

Nige

Pictures as promised...

The first picture shows two arrows. The left one shows the original starter and charge wire and the right arrow shows the big fat jump lead I used.

Nige

post-2594-0-02972400-1304866028_thumb.jpg

post-2594-0-04883300-1304866030_thumb.jpg

Guest danny_samb

What people are saying is create a 'bus'. A bus is just a multiple supply point, one wire in lots of wires out. I have copied a picture of a neat 12 fuse box from VWP website. This has two positive bus bars, the bolts at the left end of the picture. Each then runs under the plastic down the centre of the board and has the inner end of six fuses attached to it. Would be ideal for a kit as you could take an ignition live supply to one and a battery live to the other. Forget most of the negative bus on the right. Easier to earth components locally than bring their earths back to the fuse box.

In a standard fuse box you could use one decent wire in to one connector and then loop the same size wire on to the next connector and the next etc. See pic below. Supply must be thick enough, say 3mm or even 4mm. But the loops could be 2mm or 3mm. Just do the sums so you don't burn the fusebox.

Nigel

I'm just thinking about using the ignition switch to switch a relay for ignition live stuff, putting in a Jesus fuse or breaker of 60-80 amps before the fuse box and taking battery live and supply to ignition switch and ignition relay from that and umpteen different possibilities and thinking it's not possible to help enough via the forum and keep your car and you safe. You do need a certain level of knowledge some of which you can get by reading but you also need someone experienced looking over your shoulder to help out. I would be happier if someone local to you could have a look. Failing that a Premier loom and instructions.

hi im thinking of getting the fuse box in the 1st picture, do i just run a live from the +ve on the starter to the 2 +ves on the fuse box, also would it be best to put a fuse in the cable from the starter to the fuse box

Thanks

Sad to say I remain baffled by why people want to use the starter terminal as a supply point. Seems awkward to get to and many are already very reasonably taking the alternator output to here what with it being on the way back to the battery and thus reducing wire use. Strange and silly questions like why not splice into the alternator cable in front of the engine come to mind. But I ramble.

My personal preference is to use the battery positive terminal to supply one of the numbered + connections on that fuse box. I would supply the other with the ignition switch output through a relay. Both can run through a big fuse or contact breaker of 60 amps. (That's what I used till my CB went rusty and failed) I would use an ignition live relay to reduce load on the ignition switch. Not strictly needed but a 'good thing'.

That leaves you with a fuse box which has a battery live busbar and six fuses which are always live and an ignition live busbar and six fusesthat are only live when the ignition is on.

Quick circuit below. Well that's how I did it.

Nigel

post-21-0-56771000-1304885875_thumb.jpg

Guest danny_samb

that sounds like the best way to me thaks so much for your help the only thing baffleing me now is the bit coming off 85 on the relay, i can see 86 is earth, 87 is going to the fuse box and 30 is coming from the new wire from the battery

Thanks

that sounds like the best way to me thaks so much for your help the only thing baffleing me now is the bit coming off 85 on the relay, i can see 86 is earth, 87 is going to the fuse box and 30 is coming from the new wire from the battery

Thanks

85 is the terminal on the relay that is linked to the position two contact on the ignition switch, the one with the blue/yellow wire and with this diagram all it does is switch the relay. The relay can be positioned close to the fuse box, minimising the run of heavy wire too and from the ignition switch.

Nigel