Sierra Fuel Tank In A Sub K

Guest mattcarpenter10

Guest mattcarpenter10

Hello everyone, been a while since I posted on here, just been enjoying the car really!

Has anyone any experience of removing the Sierra tank from the Sub K (or 2b) and are they willing to give pointers on how to get it out of what looks like a pretty tight spot?

I have no requirement to keep the tank so had considered squashing it to aid removal...

Tank is currently laden with 15 lires of fuel but that will be out in no time...

Thanks,

Matt

Guest chris brown

I think your idea of squashing it is about the best way the only other way would be to remove the seats and seat back panel and then it may be a pig to get out. I see allot of banging going on here. If you are going to cut it up using a hammer and chisel or air chisel (nothing electrical) fill it full with water until you get a good sized hole in it I know you will get wet but its better than getting burnt or having the tank explode on you. (I know, having had it happen to me =@ :shok: )

Guest mattcarpenter10

Hello and thanks for the replies!

I am a little concerened about cutting it in any way as I'd rather not be blown up or burnt!

Has anyone had any success taking it through a wheel arch at all??

Guest mattcarpenter10

227836_10150584908370416_563270415_18204137_4559394_n.jpg

For your information, the tank is now out. I put a hefty crease in it with the assistance of a tractor jack and it came out through the top.

The picture shows my new one in situe. A little prep and its ready to mount.

Guest mattcarpenter10

227836_10150584908370416_563270415_18204137_4559394_n.jpg

For your information, the tank is now out. I put a hefty crease in it with the assistance of a tractor jack and it came out through the top.

The picture shows my new one in situe. A little prep and its ready to mount.

Hi All, you may be pleased to know that my tank is now in a working.

Can anyone tell me if there is much of a fix to the rising & falling fuel level sender? Its so much worse in the tank now compared to the Sierra tank. Same sender, just modified to fit...

Thanks!

Matt

Guest chris brown

It does tend to be a bit of a hit and miss job to get it right but the answer is measure the depth of your tank. now with the sender unit out bend the float rod to shorten it so the float can only rise and fall the depth of your new tank. measure from bottom of float when in empty position to top when in full position. run two imaginary lines representing top and bottom of tank and ensure float does not cross these lines but just reaches them. Now refit and test I like lots of others got it wrong and it reads about 7/8 full when full but does leave me with about a gallon when reading empty.

Guest chris brown

I take it you are not using original ford gauge which was damped for this very reason. Apart from changing the gauge or fitting baffles in the tank you may have to live with it.