Fuel Gauge

Guest Kennedy48

Guest Kennedy48

Hey. Been having a few problems with my fuel gauge. I ran out of petrol with the gauge saying just over half full. Played with a few wires and it seemed to go to probably the right place. My grandads been driving the car all day trying to set the speedo which is now ok but the fuel gauge didn't go down (not bad) filled up with two jerry cans and checking gauge after each to see if it was registering correctly. Two small jerry cans and now my fuel tank is under half way.

What could the problem be if the gauge is going the opersite way?

Thanks

luke

(enjoyed stoneleigh and was amazed at the rhocar turnout. )

Guest sandy77uk

Hey. Been having a few problems with my fuel gauge. I ran out of petrol with the gauge saying just over half full. Played with a few wires and it seemed to go to probably the right place. My grandads been driving the car all day trying to set the speedo which is now ok but the fuel gauge didn't go down (not bad) filled up with two jerry cans and checking gauge after each to see if it was registering correctly. Two small jerry cans and now my fuel tank is under half way.

What could the problem be if the gauge is going the opersite way?

Thanks

luke

(enjoyed stoneleigh and was amazed at the rhocar turnout. )

If its reading empty when full and full when empty the chances are the float on the sender arm is on upside down

Guest Kennedy48

Il look into that thanks. Got quite abit of fuel I'm at the moment but only just noticed after filling up the other night that it was going down rather than up. It's always shown over half full before.

Luke

Guest sandy77uk

Il look into that thanks. Got quite abit of fuel I'm at the moment but only just noticed after filling up the other night that it was going down rather than up. It's always shown over half full before.

Luke

deffinately sounds like the float is wrong, make sure your earths are good as well, take the sender out and just move the float arm up and down with your finger and watch the gauge, swap the float over and do the same again, then fit back into tank

As with all electrical problems ensure you earth connection to the tank and sender are perfect before doing anything else. The fuel gauge "earths" through the sender.

Guest Kennedy48

The thing I was worrying about the the guy I bought it off said he made the fuel tank. Seems to have done a good job on the rest of the car. Hope he's fitted everything inside the tank. Il give these all a go. Thanks

Luke

Guest AWhite

Its common to keep the original ford sender when using different guages and the resistances don't match and using the old ford sender with most guages does it backwards. What make is your petrol guage?

Andy

Guest Kennedy48

Its common to keep the original ford sender when using different guages and the resistances don't match and using the old ford sender with most guages does it backwards. What make is your petrol guage?

Andy

i have the smiths gauges. il be getting in the garage tomorrow and spending all day on it. but think that is the only problem left. i still have no word off mr iva after 2 weeks (dont know how long it takes)

Guest AWhite

Thats it then. The smiths gauges won't be compatible with the standard ford fuel sender that comes with the kit. Its a messy job to change because it might mean drilling a new fuel pickup pipe because most aftermarket senders don't have a pickup pipe on them. Hence why a lot of people don't bother.

If you can take a pic of the top of the fuel sender we will be able to tell you if its a standard one.

Andy

Edited by AWhite

Guest Kennedy48

Thats it then. The smiths gauges won't be compatible with the standard ford fuel sender that comes with the kit. Its a messy job to change because it might mean drilling a new fuel pickup pipe because most aftermarket senders don't have a pickup pipe on them. Hence why a lot of people don't bother.

If you can take a pic of the top of the fuel sender we will be able to tell you if its a standard one.

Andy

ok no problem. il have to strip the back end down again to get in, easy job, and il add some pictures tomorrow.

(just put a picture up as first time messing with it and seeing if it works)

post-7028-0-96361400-1304689465_thumb.jpg

Guest AWhite

They look like Smiths Telemetrix gauges to me. My dad is in the process of fitting these to his kit car and has got a special smiths fuel sender that is adjustable to fit.

Andy

Guest Kennedy48

il get some pictures up tomorrow and hopfully it will be an easy fix. might blow my self up which wont be fun. thanks for the help

luke

Guest sandy77uk

They look like Smiths Telemetrix gauges to me. My dad is in the process of fitting these to his kit car and has got a special smiths fuel sender that is adjustable to fit.

Andy

I have the same