New Ford Keys.

Longboarder

Guest David Walton

Just had two keys cut for £10 Local shoe mender, but no electronics on my car. If you can ditch the electronics.

David.

Guest jhfozzy

Not 100% sure on Fords, but the Vauxhall chipped ones are about £20 at our local timpsons (had 2003 and 2006 ones done).

I say not sure as they cannot do my Mazda keys (2004) and Mazda would like £120 for the privilege.

Guest sadjagboy

I went to get a spare key cut (no chip)last weekend and the guy wanted £15, I asked for my key back and decided if I lost the key I'd take the barrel off and use a screwdriver. Two for a tenner, that more my sort of price range!

Guest DaveBall

Just bought a 10 year old fiesta and it's only come with one key. Where's the cheapest place to get new keys with the chip programmed.

Nigel

Guest DaveBall

I do an electric head key which is programmed to your existing key £45.00 inc recorded delivery, but I need your existing key to cut and program a new key to

Dave

Thanks for all the suggestions. £45 ! £120 ! As the fiesta is for daughter number 2 I will need at least two spare keys as she seems to travel through the world with a scatter of her possessions left strewn in her wake, never to be seen again. I will try Timpsons first as £20 is do-able without me having a tantrum, just muttering and looking a little stern.

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

My local Timpsons have just told me £70 for one or £130 for two. I think this is basically worked out on the 'as much as we can and still be marginally cheaper than the dealer' basis. Thieves.

Rung Vospers who are my local ford dealer and they quote £25 to cut a new key and I can program it myself. They will even instruct me on how to do it!

We shall see if it works.

Nigel

No. It's a lie. I don't know who you talked to this morning sir but you need to book the car in and its 2 hours labour for two new keys and that will be £215 plus VAT.

You're aving a larff, surely?

No, bend over, and stop calling me shirley.

Nigel

Guest bob13

I know you can program your key yourself on some cars. Had to do it on a old transit once. Can't remember how but it was something like turn the old key a few times then pop new one in and turn it. However I think you needed the all red key to do this, but it was a long time ago.

Finally sorted for £55 with a local locksmith who programmed the chip and cut the new key in about ten minutes (and that was because he had to reboot his chip reader/encoder). Didn't need the car. Didn't need the red key which is just as well as I have a black key with a red chip in it which I thought was the 'red' key but it isn't.

I don't know how ford get away with it.

Mind you £55 is still a stupid price for a key.

Nigel