Ian Harrison Signing In

Guest IanH

Guest IanH

Hi all, just registered.

I recently picked up a Robin Hood Exmo built in '98 and am trying to decide what to do with it next.

I picked it up for next to nothing and am storing it in a lock up in Norfolk atm. It looks OK, colour is yellow with red arches, nose etc (not my taste at all but can be sorted out during rebuild)

My options are to either strip it and sell it for parts (would bring a tear to my eye), get it up and running again with an MOT, then sell it, fully rebuild it and get it looking nice, then sell it, or finally to fully rebuild it and keep it. As far as I know its a stock exmo, complete with sierra 2.0 pinto with twin choke carb, 1.6 gearbox and stock sierra suspension and rear axle. It could ideally do with stripping and rebuilding as the suspension looks shabby, engine doesnt crank nicely and doesn't fire and the brakes need looking at. I was told it only failed its last MOT on brakes however, and as far as I can see, its all there including Tonneau cover and doors.

Here are some pictures, I could use some opinions of what I should do with it (nothing rude please).

IMG_2652s.jpg

IMG_2651s.jpg

IMG_2638a.jpg

I'm not a beginner at rebuilds but this is my first kit car. I fully stripped and rebuilt a 205 gti that currently runs an Mi16 engine, putting out 190 bhp (cams, jenvey TB's and management) 6 speed gearbox with a quiaffe atb lsd and runs adjustable suspension. Roll cage and buckets etc. I also own a '98 suzuki gsxr 750 SRAD that hasn't escaped my meddling tendencies, with some minor improvements made. My run around is a '99 BMW 540 touring which just seems to do everything asked of it except drive in the snow.

I try and do everything myself, including the engine work. I worked recently for a classic racing car restoration company based in Buntingford, where among other things, I was involved in £100k rebuild of a 1938 Riley ready for a Tour Britannia meet last year. Really enjoyed it but the company went under so I now work as a self employed tree surgeon (old job) while trying to get into aircraft maintenance which is proving pretty tough tbh.

Anyhow, thats enough about me. As I said before, Hi!

Guest Ratcatcher3D

I think you should rebuild and keep it yourself, it would be another box ticked of life experiences and you seem to know a thing or two about cars lol

Guest Stuartl

I have an Exmo. This looks in ok shape so why would you want to break it for parts? If you dont like the car at least get it roadworthy and MOT'd and make a few quid on it

Guest Stuartl

It looks like noddys car :) I've seen worse starting points

I knew it reminded me of something!

Maybe Sly and Gobbo the goblins did the paint job!

Guest IanH

Hi chaps, thanks the the replies.

Yes, it is a truly God awful colour scheme, I can only guess copious amounts of LSD were to blame.

Batteries not included at present, but it goes in the usual slot under the bonnet.

I would hate to brake it for parts, it was only an option to make some quick money as I originally didn't know what it was or what the market was like for these until I did some research, so Ill be ruling that option out for here on.

I'll sit on it for the time being and get an idea for costs of rebuild etc. I don't want to go crazy on it, but I'd like to do more to it than simply get it through its MOT, unless its just not worth the extra investment.

Its growing on me thats for sure, but I need to get another build out of the way first before I open the wallet on this one.

Assuming I can get it through an MOT as it is, what should I be expecting for it if I were to sell it?

Cheers for now, Ian.

Guest The Modfather

If you are thinking of selling as it is, how much do you want?

I want to do one for the missus but paint it pink, yes, pink! It is to help advertise her beauty business.

Daz

OK the paint scheme is a bit Enid Blyton but pause a while. Underbonnet looks a tidy and well built engine bay. No streamers of loose wires or random pipework. Can't see a whole lot with the pictures you have posted but if that same standard is maintained throughout the car then MOT it and drive it. You may find you like it. If not pass it on whole for someone else to enjoy rather than destroy it to make a quick buck.

Nigel