Suspension Setup

Guest kleighton

Guest kleighton

Evening all,

I've recently replaced the top ball joints on my front suspension. Having changed the first one, I took it for a run, and noticed at first what I thought was the back end that felt light above 40/50mph. I got home and checked the tyre pressures, all fine at 19psi. I noticed that the front wheel that I'd just changed the ball joint on looked to have more negative camber than before. When I replaced the ball joint, I marked the thread and transferred the mark onto the new part, so I thought it couldn't be too far out.

Having adjusted them more than a few times (now both ball joints changed) I just can't get it right. It felt nicely planted before the change, but now I have changed the camber and track a few times I just can't seem to get it right. When turning a corner, the wheels almost turn themselves, but won't self centre very easily.

I've had a search and recommendations are 2 degrees negative camber and straight to 1 degree toe in. My problem is that when I try to set this in the garage, I get the car on the drive and it all looks miles out again. Granted neither are really level, but the garage is far better than the drive.

This is driving me mad now, when I think I've got it about right, I take it around the block and it doesn't feel any different, the front end is very light and once I've started to turn a corner it takes itself.

Any help and advice is much appreciated,

Cheers

Keith

Guest mower man

Evening all,

I've recently replaced a top ball joint on my front suspension. Having changed it, I took it for a run, and noticed at first what I thought was the back end that felt light above 40/50mph. I got home and checked the tyre pressures, all fine at 19psi. I noticed that the front wheel that I'd just changed the ball joint on looked to have more negative camber than before. When I replaced the ball joint, I marked the thread and transferred the mark onto the new part, so I thought it couldn't be too far out.

Having adjusted them more than a few times I just can't get it right. It felt nicely planted before the change, but now I have changed the camber and track a few times I just can't seem to get it right. When turning a corner, the wheels almost turn themselves, but won't self centre very easily.

I've had a search and recommendations are 2 degrees negative camber and straight to 1 degree toe in. My problem is that when I try to set this in the garage, I get the car on the drive and it all looks miles out again. Granted neither are really level, but the garage is far better than the drive.

This is driving me mad now, when I think I've got it about right, I take it around the block and it doesn't feel any different, the front end is very light and once I've started to turn a corner it takes itself.

Any help and advice is much appreciated,

Cheers

Keith

That sound like a castor prob Keith did you take the top hat dummy strut out of the hub carrier ? it is not drilled centrally and it gooses all the angles up if not replaced correctly!. There may be somthing on your own NW website or Dave Andrews site I know I I've seen it on here somewhere HTH mower man [mick] :good:

Guest kleighton

Hi Mick,

How are you repairing ? Hope you're not over doing it ?

I've not changed the castor at all. I didn't take the dummy strut out of the hub carrier, I just took the ball joint out of the taper in the top of the dummy strut.

Cheers

Keith

Guest mower man

Hi Keith . without beeing hands on you have got me well confused ! I'll have a think for couple of days and see if ERIC [my one braincell ]can remember any thing . As to my self every thing is really good the knee op has made vast difference and I should like to get the other one done as soon as possible.Got to go things to do people to see more perhaps later if I can wake ERIC up ---- regards mower man [mick] :friends: :good:

Keith,

do you mind if I ask where you got your new ball joints from? I got an advisory on my MOT because the rubber cover is starting to perish, so I'll need some more some time. Cheers, Brian

Keith,

do you mind if I ask where you got your new ball joints from? I got an advisory on my MOT because the rubber cover is starting to perish, so I'll need some more some time. Cheers, Brian

If the joints are still good you can just replace the rubber boots. I did this on mine. The RH supplied ones had rubbish clear/yellow boots which perished really quickly. They sell them on ebay, just measure the top and bottom holes. hth

Guest mower man

Hi Brian, you ok ?

I got them from here. Think I searched for transit top ball joint on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330553848302&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

It's taken me a while to get my setup somewhere normal again, but I think I'm getting there.

Cheers

Keith

Hi Keith ,have grilled Eric all weekend and he still says castor probs but I can't see why if you only did as you say ,let me know what cures it ,I am realy puzzled by this --mick [mower man] :fool: :blink: