Can Anyone Make A Kit Car?

Guest Jit

Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about making a kit car and been doing a bit of research, I like projects - challenges even! I was toying with the idea of buying an old banger and then trying to do it up. I actually quite like detailing and polishing my car and wanted to learn a bit more about paintwork and maybe have a go at spray painting something.

I looked at a few salvage cars on ebay etc. When I was looking at these cars I couldn't find anything that would actually drive me to finishing, eg if I got a salvage fiesta or citreon C1, it's not something I'd want to drive at the end - I wouldn't have any motivation, so I came across kit cars. It's something I've never really looked into. I've seen them around, a chap on my parents road has one, seen him testing it up and down the cul-de-sac. Also see them on the back of trailers on the motorway and think they look amazing (and expensive!)

My question is can anyone make a kit car?

I don't know much about engines, I've done basic electrical part swaps on my car BMW E39 525D, changed heater blower resistor, changed light control unit, changed a car battery and a head light on my van! but when it comes to the engines I go to the mechanics! Something I want to change.

I like the look of the Zero. After researching I figure I could get a haynes manual and a donor vehicle Sierra and try ripping it apart a bit. I have garage available, narrow but long - maybe 2.5 x 5m.

I think if I get confident I'll go forward or if I cant't figure it out I could just scrap it? Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Also could I just buy something like these on ebay:-

Thanks,

Jit.

Hi Jit,

chances are that if you can do basic car maintenance, then you'll be able to complete a kit car.

Most of us here on this forum have a blind spot somewhere....for me its electrics..they make me go numb & start mumbling....but I love stripping & rebuilding engines. If you go for a Zero, it looks pretty straightforward to build...mine was an older 2B model & it had its share of teething troubles, but all problems are solvable. members of this forum between ourselves have come up with everything you will hit & usually found several different, but all successful, solutions. If youre not sure about engines, either buy a roadworthy Sierra donor with a good(ish) engine & just use it as is, or get a new Zetec engine from GBS...they had them on sale at a recent show at Detling for £740 all in. Be aware that the Sierra was fitted with 3 different engine types, but all can be made to fit.

Your best bet is to put in your location, ask to visit anyone near you & spend a while gassing with them....the biggest problem will be getting away again.

Best of luck,

Bob

Guest davidm

Hi, Jit...

IMHO yes - just about anybody can, and the Zero is a good choice. Get yourself to Newark kit car show 18-19 June. GBS will be there with the Zero, along with a load of other mfrs.

Link

Re the Zero... lots of help on here, you need only minimal tools, there's very little fettling involved, and not much required in the way of donor parts (& even those you can get from GBS).

It'll take any number of different car & bike engines. GBS can supply you with a new Ford Zetec 2.0 for about £750.

All you need is a Sierra manual, a willingness to read instructions rather than dive in with both feet, and a methodical approach. It's a very straightforward kit.

If you want to source your own donor parts ebay item 320703796911 looks ideal. It's got the V5!! All you really need from it are the diff & driveshafts, gearbox, front uprights, upper steering column & column stalks, although you can use more than that if you're on a budget.

As with all kit cars, costs can spiral if you get carried away with power and nice shiny bits. Take your time. Sit down and make a list of everything you'll need - there's always a lot more than at first appears... plus a £450 IVA test!

There you go for starters. HTH

Thanks for your replies.

I'm from Birmingham. I'm going to book that newark show in the diary.

I think I'd like to try this with donor car and engine. try and do it cheap as possible the first time and if it works maybe do it again?

That ebay link I posted was to a car in surrey, ashame it's too far, there's one in Walsall 160592053246 - looks pretty tidy from the pics - 2l twin cam engine should be ok?

I built one (not a Zero) a Super Spec with next to no knowledge of cars. If you take the plunge join the club because everything you need to know is here within a few clicks.

My build diaries online, so feel free to have a read. (i'm not a member anymore as my cars SORN and collecting dust in the garage due to an ever expanding family (OPEN TO OFFERS :) ) It's an amazing experience and sense of achievement when you drive it down the road for the first time.

Go for it

Edited by will

Will, great web site and well done on your build. I think I'm going to do it, need to clear some space in my garage and find a cheap donor car!

I think that will keep me busy for a while before I have to commit and order/pay for the kit.

Guest Vindi_andy

Jit,

I built a Vindicator Sprint family (4seat lotus seven style) with only basic car manitenance knowledge although qualified electronics engineer.

As has been said read the instructions (several times) and follow them to the letter then fettle things to fit.

I used the Twincam out of the sierra in my build and its spritely enough (for the wife at least)

Feel free to check out my build diary

http://sites.google.com/site/lawsvindicatorfamily/

Jit,

I beleive anybody can build a kit car with enough time and money. Take your time if you are struggling ask or invite a willing volunteer from this forum round, bacon butties, tea and biscuits normally works and they will help.

Really worthwhile.

Regards

Mark

Will, great web site and well done on your build. I think I'm going to do it, need to clear some space in my garage and find a cheap donor car!

I think that will keep me busy for a while before I have to commit and order/pay for the kit.

Go along to the West Mids meet last Wednesday of every month. The Malt Shovel Stonebridge Island.

Youll see a lot of kits and the drivers are a friendly bunch. Also they have a deal with the pub whereby you buy a pint of coke and refills are free

for the rest of the night.

If you take the plunge, join the club.... Worth every penny.

Andi

Thanks for your replies.

Tango&Family - I had no idea you could build 4 seaters! I've had a read of some of your site diary. It's great. How much did that kit cost? my problem is I have 3 kids!

Andi, thanks for info re west midlands meet. I guess my next step is to go to the newark show!

cheers,

Jit.

• 11 months later...
Guest NICKMUCKLOW1983

Hi there. Am looking to build a zero and my first kit car from scratch. I have owned a Robin Hood S7 In the past, Have basic mechanical knowledge but am wondering if there is a build manual or dvd when purchasing the kit? What worries me is that Im given a load of nuts, bolts fittings and not sure which goes where or even worse fitting a component only to realise it needs to be taken off again to fit another part. I would be using new components where possible or reconditioned if not able to use new. Could any of you give me some feedback on how your own builds have been too. Thanks Nick