Ford V6 General Feeback (sapphire)

Guest nkobns

Guest nkobns

Hello everybody

I did not find an appropriate section to introduce myself so i'll make it here and short !

I'm french, so please forgive the mistakes i won't see ! i am not yet a RH owner but actively working on correcting that.

Since the day I found the ad, my heart is pounding hard for a 1979 RH powered by a Ford Sapphire v6 (sohc, cologne ?) with its 4 speed gearbox. The owner claims 200 hp for 650 Kg (around 1400 lbs), and 2993cc

So here I am to ask all of you that would be kind enough to share their experience what do you think of this engine.

is it powerful enough to be still interesting considering the extra weight of the engine ?

Wikipedia figures show 150 - 160 hp, with 2935cc. Is it the owner mistaking or is there some special features to increase the power ? is this an Essex engine ?

If the power can't be above 160, then isn't a well prepared pinto better ?

how about reliability ?

service ?

ease to find spare parts ?

last question concerning exhaust manifolds, are they symetric, and are they made from stainless steel ? there are thermic straps all over manifolds and i'm scared it'll get rotten very fast...

price range for a 30 000 miles car ?

Loads of questions, and unfortunately the car is 600 miles away from me... so i'd rather get all information i can to make sure this sweet dream does not turn into a nightmare !

Thank you to those who had the energy to read it all, and thank you by advance to those who will take some time to share their knowledge !

where is the car may be a local member could have a look at it for you v6 it will be quick think it will be 750 to 800 kg at the end of the ay its a kit and you can make it what you want

The V6 2.9Litre is a good engine with lots of torque, 200bhp is reasonably easy to achieve, the exhaust manifolds can be worth 20 bhp and the free flowing exhaust silencers help, add a free flowing air filter and your near 200.

160bhp from a Pinto is quite expensive, I know as I have spent £2000 but wanted an engine that will rev to 8000rpm

The V6 revs to 6000 if at any time you did need to replace the engine it won't cast you much £300

Edited by Snapperpaul

Guest nkobns

Thank you already for those fast answers !

@Philshelton : the car is located in south of France....

I live, want to buy and drive it in France and unfortunately regulations are just hell, and it is extremely hard and expensive to approve a modified kit car.

@Snapperpaul : configuration matches your description. Sounds extremely cheap for an engine that powerful :). But aren't they hard to find ?

Guest robinj66

I have a V6 (2.8 Cologne) engine in my S7 and it's quick. :spiteful:

The only query I would have is why the gearbox is 4 speed - is it an automatic 'box? The standard manual gearbox on the 2.9 would be a MT75 which should be 5 speed

Thank you already for those fast answers !

@Philshelton : the car is located in south of France....

I live, want to buy and drive it in France and unfortunately regulations are just hell, and it is extremely hard and expensive to approve a modified kit car.

@Snapperpaul : configuration matches your description. Sounds extremely cheap for an engine that powerful :). But aren't they hard to find ?

Guest nkobns

Hi

and again, thank you for all those very interesting answers !

The seller (a pro, specialized in RH) should give me soon all the details, but already confirmed me it is a 4 speed manual gearbox...

I live in Bretagne, France's far west ! the car is near Toulouse, so it is not easy for me to go just to have a look, i better know what's with the car before going...

I often go visit my parents in Argeles sur mer. Sete is further north, about 2h drive.

2993cc

1979 car year (thus probably older engine)

Ford Sapphire originating

4 speed box

I am certain that will be an Essex V6, prob originating from the S Africa market somewhere. 200bhp possible but modifications extensive to get that. Normally about 140-150bhp. Very heavy as was also designed to be a diesel but was never built in that form (hence recessed pistons for the petrol).

Parts getting scarcer but a few places around still, timing gear can be weak on old engines, gudgeon pins can come loose and score bores - engine then scrap, good secondhand ones getting dear, my Dad recently bought one out of an old Transit ambulance off ebay for reasonable money and upon stripping it was scrap.

Nice engines though. And of course the probs above a fairly rare if well looked after or rebuilt.

Only reason I know all this rather sad info off the top of my head is we have an AC3000ME with that engine in the family.

CMA on here used to have an Essex V6 kit car (non RH) and had trouble with it as I remember trying to help him source a replacement with my Dad's contacts, he may offer some more advice as well.

Have a look on the Burton Power website, they do bits, there's also HERE but not sure still trading. Scimitar, AC, Cobra replica and older TVR clubs can also be helpful if you do buy it and have trouble.

Good luck

Guest nkobns

Thank you all, and thank you for the very interesting links !

The owner told me that kind of engine also powered cobra replicas, so maybe an Essex then...

Here is a picture of the car (yes, a paint job with a real color will be the first thing done)

9481836844.jpg

I am interested in this kind of engine especially for the torque, and am not that into high rev power so this sounds good, but the weight might be well above 750Kg then... 850 ? more ?

I found 379 pounds for an essex here... without the gearbox I guess :/, and cologne supposedly weights 305lbs !

Would it be better to fit in a cologne with a 5 speed box, or would the essex feel more "muscle car" like ?

In other words would the better torque of the essex compensate its extra weight ?

It's an essex but i don't think it's a robin hood - note the small diameter tubular steel section of the chassis visible just behind the headlight, and the one peice fibreglass scuttle. Looks like someone has used the UK registration document from an old robin hood to export the vehicle (i beleive they have to be of a certain age to get registered in france?)

Definitely an Essex - the dizzy is at the front. On a Cologne it would be at the rear. Personally I like them but they are becoming more rare should you need anything and fitting a 5-speed box isn't as easy as with a cologne.

I too would question that being a Robin Hood - it's clearly a spaceframe with panels riveted on and very few Hoods were built that way.

Iain