Calling New Three Owners

Guest mikea

Guest mikea

Just having a pre MOT look around my new three and I have found some tears in the front corners of the boot floor .. currently about an inch long and start very close to the front edge of the suspension / roll bar mounting plate. Any one experienced similar ?

Guest mikejo

hi just checked mine,everything seams to be good,where in cheshire are you?what engine are you running!as ive just had engine bay fire i need some help with wireing!

Guest mikea

Now found a local engineering company who can help with the welding .. are there any new three owners who have strengthened their car in this area? Some pointers on where to start would be useful.

Not quite sure where your tears are. Boot floor in mine has no mounting points for anything other than the central rear mount of the diff. Roll bar bolts to sides of boot and body, not floor. Suspension bolts to passenger compartment floor which does have strengthening plates.

Nigel

I have not experienced any cracks or tears in the boot area. The boot floor did flex baddly if you use a trolley jack under the diff. I strengthened the boot floor with a large 3mm plate with a 1 1/4 inch internal diameter square tube welded to it, this is the receiver for my tow hitch.

post-347-0-32217900-1307294921_thumb.jpg

post-347-0-27703200-1307294930_thumb.jpg

post-347-0-90200400-1307294940_thumb.jpg

post-347-0-34077100-1307294950_thumb.jpg

Guest mikea

mmmm thanks for the replies. I have been jacking under the diff ... this could be part of the the problem but it seems like the pressure has been the other way. Nigel,my roll cage is welded to plates bolted to the side panels with coil overs bolting into the bottom of the cage .. as per yours (i think) BUT .. the half box section welded to the side panel (also forms the arm rest bit either side of the cockpit further forward) has been bent out of shape as the boot floor has been pulled upwards at each side as a result of the upward pressure from te coilover/roll cage mounts.

I wonder if something else has come adrift ..

IWill be stripping out the trim (again) later this week prior to a trip to the welders .. so will post some pictures. I would welcome some thoughts on the best way to strengthen.

Ah. My roll cage is the same. Bolted through the side panels with about five M10 bolts each side. I was told this held the side panel, the boot side panel and the roll cage plate together in alignment. Also told not to touch them or you lose boot vertical alignment on the body. So of course I undid them one by one and replaced with stainless and locktighted them in place with about 50 ft lb torque. I seem to remember the boot floor was part of the body tub and the sides and back panel of the boot were a separate bit.

Sounds as if your side bolts have come loose. The shocks/springs would then try to bend the boot upward, taking the boot floor with it. I would jack the car up on the ends of the cross beam under the seat rear, strip out the trim and look for witness marks to locate the original boot to tub alignment. Jack the boot to the correct position and redoo the bolts, plus a bit of weld, boot to tub once you are happy the alignment is correct again. (And repair the tears of course.) Good luck!

I will check mine asap.

Nigel