10secs 0-60

agent_zed

took the 2b out to check it was ok after breaking down friday morning with the carb playing up. It was still stuttering when i booted it but eventually it seemed to clear whatever was the problem (bit concerning as i still don't know what is/was wrong).

either way as i was out and my brother was with me thought i'd see what 0-60 time she could do.

Its a 2b with a 1.6 pinto (e-max - the long stroke one) with a webber 2v 28-30 carb (put slightly larger jets in), 2ltr camshaft, RH twin pipe.

only tried twice. first time 11secs second time 10 secs.

had my brother with me so an extra 80ish kg and very slight uphill (not a lot though). Didn't want to push right to 60 in 2nd so changed at 5.5k into 3rd.

what do you reckon does this sound about right. what is the best i could expect, would i drop a second without my brother?

I'd love to get down to 8 seconds, is this do-able.

I'm thinking of piping air from in front of the radiator as my air filter is open within the engine bay, although not sure how much difference this would make.

Buy your brother some slimfast,

Piping cool air helps, fitting a 2.0L would get you into the 7's.

It's not worth doing much to the 1.6 when the 2.0L has 20% more bhp out of the box and can produce 130bhp with just an injection head and an FR32 cam easily without much engineering at all.

does sound slightly on the slow side

the Rh twin pipe may be limiting it slightly, i noticed a huge difference when i fitted the RH 4-1 manifold, really could feel it pull better

have you had it set up on a rolling road?

If your engine was providing full Ford power you would still only have 80 and a 2b weighs about 800kg

100bhp per tonne

2.0l = 100bhp = 125 bhp per tonne

2.0lL, injection head+FR32 cam+ bike carbs = 135 bhp

= 168.75 bhp per tonne

With you and your brother in the car could be another 150kg this reduces the bhp per tonne to near one to one then transmission losses and you could be down to 60 bhp per tonne.

hmm so she's not soo bad considering its a 20 year old 1.6 without too many mods.

I'am only running 10 degrees advance, should i increase that?

I'm going to build a 2inch single straight through exhaust soon and prob custom manifold to replace the cast ford one. then maybe bike carbs.

It certainly goes better with the 2ltr cam and clean valves. I had to put bigger jets in after the cam change as it was gasping for fuel. Better now but still a bit of a guess. Seems to pick up after 4k+ now.

Think if i change the engine i'll prob go for a zetec, although i realise the extra work involved compared with a straight replacement of the pinto.

Probably just play with this for a while though, if i get bike carbs, exhaust etc then i can always put them on the new engine at a later date.

Someone posted this in the past which seems useful (if its accurate) http://westfield-world.com/enginespecs_car.html

if i went for a 2ltr zetec i'd drop 20kgs over the pinto. I like the idea of the 4age toyota engine dropping 30kgs and gaining 50+ horses although bellhousings seem to be the problem. Or even the 1.4 K-series to get cheaper tax and an extra 20hp.

No one seems to mention the citreon engines, my dads c4 has a 1.6 with 120hp which looks quite a nice compact engine. anyone ever fit the french engines? do any fit the ford box? i know ford has done various colaborations over the years.

thanks for the replies :good:

Edit - oh any advice on pipe size to the carb, would 2inch be big enough?

Edited by agent_zed