Rs 2000 Throttle Bodies

Guest chrispine

You can modify any quadrant type throttle to be progressive. If it hasn't got a quadrant on the master body then make one. I recall the quadrant on 750GSXR bodies I used was constant radius. If you get the welder out and increase the opening radius and radius down as the quadrant turns you produce a progressive throttle response, pulling more cable for the initial opening stages. You could make it do whatever suited.

'Here's one I prepared earlier.' (Because I was too mean to spend £60 at Jenvey when I could DIY it.) Non progressive by choice/default but could equally have made it progressive just by altering the radii. How it's made is fairly clear. Just cut and welded stainless sheet layers, two in the middle with single guide each side to retain the cable. Some bike brake cable bits I had in the come in handy box but I bought a couple of rod ends to make the final link.

Nigel

post-21-0-06707900-1332288063_thumb.jpg

Guest BaldiGit

Hi Les,

I did pretty much the same as you, but added a bit to the front of the bulge to increase oil volume. And I used the RS2000 one instead.

Edited by BaldiGit

Guest BaldiGit

Hi Nigel,

I'd noticed the progressive snail type quadrant on the TB's, but wondered if it was enough..!! I've seen somewhere that someone was using the one off of an old SU carb, and that was just "HUGE". Thanks for the picture, I was thinking about fabricating one if necessary. Food for thought :good:

Gary

Guest chrispine

Hi Les,

I've been after a 2.3 Scorpio engine for about a year, all I've seen on Ebay was one with, I think, 138k miles on it, thats why I've got the Galaxy engine, undersize shells are available but you cannot get oversize pistons (unless anyone knows different?), managed to get a 2.3 Scorpio head off someone who bought a complete running Scorpio just for the engine because he couldn't get just the engine (to put the RS head on), was going to put the head on a galaxy block, RS 2000 and both 2.3's have the same footprint, have to use a head gasket to match the block due to the fire ring size, then this galaxy/RS conversion came up on Ebay £100 plus fetching it, too cheap to miss I hope.

Hi Gary,

my car is a 2005 Superspec, bought it with 800 miles on it since SVA, sort of rebuilding it, pretty much finished the LSD/disk conversion (thanks Alan), just the handbrake cable to modify, GBS don't do a Superspec disk brake cable so I had to have the Zero one which is 600mm too short, once the engine is done it's the gearbox next Winter, how is anyone else getting on with the standard ratios? First is soooo low but the clutch slips if I try to pull away quickly in second with the 2ltr dohc, making maybe 100 bhp (in my dreams I think).

How's a progressive throttle work? Never heard of one, I'm assuming it ramps up as the throttle is pressed, sort of like a progressive twin choke?

Chris

Guest BaldiGit

Hi Chris,

The idea is so you have greater control over the lower rev range. For example the first 1" of throttle might only move the throttle plate a couple of degree's. But the last inch will open the throttle the last 15 degrees to full open throttle.

(And please for anyone who knows the actual facts........ I'm guessing the figures :crazy: ). So if the cable has to follow a spiral path round a snail shaped quadrant on the end of the throttle shaft. The larger diameter part has more surface area, so more cable is needed to move it. Where as when it's at the lower radius less cable is needed and more movement occurs. This way you have 2-3" of throttle between tick over and wheel spin. Where a non progressive is a tad more savage.

This can also be done with a mechanism.

Gary

Edited by BaldiGit

Guest chrispine

Hi Gary,

thanks for that, never heard of that before (probably owned cars with it on and not realised), makes perfect sense, I'm sure I can make something when I get that far, got a way to go yet but really coming on now I work 4 days on then 4 off.

Chris

Guest BaldiGit

Hi Chris,

Have you looked into a Megasquirt system at all? From my limited research.... It seems the RS2000 clan favour the Megasquirt 2 with a revison 3 board. Not 100% what that actually means :wacko:, but need to do some more research. So does the new beast have throttle bodies, or is that on your to-do list?

Edited by BaldiGit

Guest steve775

I have the RS2000 engine with a Microsquirt (new style Megasquirt) seems like the best set-up for that engine ... will let you know as soon as i get the fuel pump fitted.

Guest BaldiGit

Thanks Steve, look forward to any info. Do you have a megasquirt base map setup for the RS2000? And does yours use the standard plemun or throttle bodies?

Gary

Guest steve775

I dont have a map yet .... i'm running standard ford inlet manifold and injection system, maybe with a view to fit throttle bodies later.. i've had it running on the standard ford ecu but think it would be more tunable and look neater with the Microsquirt

• 3 weeks later...
Guest chrispine

Just been working on my "RS 2.3", took the camcover off, sure enough, nice lumpy RS cams, measured the flywheel, sure enough, RS 2000, looking at the ports as I need an inlet flange to make the inlet manifold for the throttle bodies, "what's that"? a blanking plug covering a waterway, where the thermostat housing goes on a Scorpio head, checked part numbers (I have a standard 16v RS 2000 complete engine in the garage and a Scorpio head) on Google, sure enough, Scorpio head, looks like I have a Scorpio engine turned around for FWD with RS cams and flywheel.

Guest Hammy360

Hi, I have an rs 2000 16v to go in my Robin Hood, have got gsxr 1000 throttle bodies with 2 injectors per cylinder, and fast road cams will be here soon, any ideas as to whether to use the Ford fuel rail and injectors or a lot better and easier inlet manifold and use the Suzuki injectors? Will be running Megasquirt and getting approx 230 bhp (I think) so am wondering if the Suzuki injectors will flow enough. Any ideas would be helpful, thanks.

Chris

I have a similair setup on the zetec, I use the ford fuel rail and an ST170 inlet manifold. On the GSXR TBS blank the injector ports. You then have an excellent and effective setup.

230bhp? What else have you done to the engine?

Edited by Hammy

Guest chrispine

Thinking 230 may be a bit high, the engine going in was bought as a 2.3 with RS 2000 head (£100 off Ebay), found out today the head is off a Scorpio, as for mods, RS 2000 cams and flywheel, modified RS 4 branch exhaust, no EGR, balance shafts or cat, GSXR 1000 throttle bodies I think, the TB's are Keihin and the injectors only have a batch number on them (2 per cyl), no real idea of flow rate, been on a few forums and people can't get an answer from the factory as to flow rates, if I want to use them I will have to flow test them myself to make sure they will flow enough, apparantly the Honda S2000 uses Keihin injectors that will fit in the place of the ones I have, would rather use all eight of the injectors in the suzi TB's though.

Guest BaldiGit

230bhp on a car wieghing around 750Kg sounds a tad much. I'm worried about the standard 150bhp even with my LSD. Then when you decat it and get rid of the exhaust air injection... That's supposed to give you 10 - 20bhp. Now throttle bodies....... Oh poo I hope the rear tyres are cheep :crazy: Now that's why I'm worried about a progressive throttle. To much power can make it undrivable, be carefull.

The Galaxy head is supposed to be better for connecting up the rad when you go rwd. But I think the pistons compression height is lower on the bottom end compared to the RS.And I'm not sure if the valve sizes are different as the way to go used to be Galaxy bottom end, throw away the balance shafts and stick an RS head and injection on. Mind you, it might have been to get the cams..!!!

I used the Suzuki 750 K1 TB's as they're individual, can be spaced easily and are 46mm. And I'm using the standard RS injection manifold and injectors. Which should be ok up to 200Bhp. I've made a manifold and all I need is the Megasquirt... :ph34r: