Earthing Point On S7

Guest cheesewr

Guest cheesewr

May be a daft question, but can I just earth my battery to the stainless monocoque on my Dolomite S7, or should I run a cable direct or via the front subframe for the higher current stuff (starter/alternator)? How was it done originally on the S7s - can anyone tell me?

Surest way needs three earth straps. Engine to body, engine to battery negative and body to battery earth. Most however just have engine to body and body to battery. Bellhousing bolt, bolt through the stainless and clamp or bolt on battery terminal do the job.

Nigel

I also have gearbox mounting bolt ( the middle big one to the box) to chassis.

Earthing the engine is best done using one of the bolts that goes engine to bell housing I also use bellhousing to starter bolt as it is the starter that draws the most current when cranking, without this earth your starter could be much weaker

Guest cheesewr

Genius - thanks chaps. Will knock up an arrangement like that - probably one to bellhousing by the starter as you suggest, one connecting that to the front subframe (my S7 is a little bit custom as has a TR7 2.0l slant 4 in it) for the front lights etc, and one to the body for the remaining lights and ancillaries.