Just Priced Up A Zero

speedtripledan

For obvious reasons I have just priced up a zero built on my pinto, wide body with stainless and hoops and I'm up to £6150 without brake pipes loom silencer wheels seats gauges and all the little bits you can't think of does this sound right as it is starting to look like an expensive build.

I would prefer zetec on tbs but this would push it another £3500 ish

I can't really comment on the new price list.

I just found my original proforma from GBS and this also is very low compared to what you have been priced.

I mentioned before my costs but they seem ridiculously low compared to other people.

But it was 3 years ago and Graham (Bone) whinged like hell to Iain and Richard and got even more of a reduction on the extras we needed.

We also paid cash for two kits.

Maybe we were just lucky at the time to get the deals we did.

I kept every receipt and priced up, it came to at most £7k. Most expensive individual extra was the gauges, even managed to acquire those at cost price.

Sport seats, seatbelts and fully adjustable shocks were free of charge. Silencer and exhasut manifold we got at cost price.

The loom was cheap but completely different from now. Basically just wires. It took me hours to work it out.

Unfortunately the prices seem to be a lot now. But I suppose the zero was a new car when we got it and we managed to buy them early on.

Not sure the cost of the fat boy chassis as that wasn't available then but my price actually included stainless panels, hoops, black wheel upgrade and specailly made rear wing upgrade with cycle wing rears.

Must be much more expensive now than when I bought.

Guest The Modfather

Don't forget Dan if you can buy your broken car back from the insurers, things like seats or whatever else you want can be donated which may bring the price down a tad.

Most insurers will sell the wreck back as this means less payout for them.

My problem is I'm going to be lucky to walk away with £ 6000 and pricing the the zero on a budget is going to be way more. Can't take the wide body option out as I don't fit the others take the stainless and hoops out and it will only drop by £500 looks like I'm gonna be either car less or well out of pocket.

Wondering if I could sue the guy for build time and the difference in cost to get back on the road ?

Don't forget Dan if you can buy your broken car back from the insurers, things like seats or whatever else you want can be donated which may bring the price down a tad.

Most insurers will sell the wreck back as this means less payout for them

My main concern is what they charge for buying the car back... If they work out the real engine spec and other bits they might try and sting me.. I'm not prepared to pay more than the cost of a donor sierra.

hi dan , sorry but i feel i need to be devils advocate.

you have lost your 2b in an accident , not good !

to replace you need to rebuild , only alternative is the fat boy zero ,

the cost of the kit is the cost end of ,

your car as a doner and sell back is costed by the insurance , the parts in that doner are the parts ,

not a zetec on jenvies .

you cant expect the insurance company to provide you with funds to construct a car that is better

than the one you lost . a zero is better than a 2b , you can all slag me but it is better engineered .

and it does what it says on the tin .sorry dude all i can say is get the best deal you can on the kit and the best you can for the 2b as a doner from the insurance co .

the reason we get cheap insurance i believe is that we agree to repair ourselves , plus parts .

that alone may answer your question .

graham

Graham my whole issue is through no fault of mine I'm now car less due to a myopic tw@t, what I get for it will not be enough to rebuild it's nearest equivalent even using all of the mechanicals. With iva etc and the 250hrs gbs reckon to build I'm going to end up thousands out of pocket to get back in a 7 all be it a better car. Seriously thinking about a production car now as if the same situation was to happen again it would be a lot easier cheaper and lot safer.. When the insurance pull there fingers out of there **** I will be a bit happier as I will know what I have to spend and can then move forward all be it gbs mk or whatever

dan i understand your frustration re the insurance ect .

we all need to reflect on the terms of the insurance though .

most and i say most insurers ,say the insurance is based on the cost of parts only

to rebuild . how else do you supose we get such good terms on insurance .

equivilient of 350 horses plus , for under 200 quid .

there has to be a trade off . that is we repair ourselves plus parts .

insurance is not there to make a profit , its there to reimburse loss .

and loss only not to upgrade .

sorry for you loss dude .

graham

Guest The Modfather

Dan, I totally understand exactly how you feel. Years ago when I used to race a street legal Anglia (stop laughing) I had just had 4 new tyres fitted, resprayed 2 weeks prior, and loads of other new bits, literally spent tons on this car, and then one night we got rolled over by a joy rider who spun me into a kerb. I wasn't racing, in fact I was taking my then girlfriend home. When the insurance paid out, I stated that I had spent loads of money on the car, and produced receipts for these. They stated that none of this mattered, or what I had done to the car or how long it had taken me to get it from a rust bucket to the shiney best looking Anglia, even though it was FULLY legal and all mods were stated on the policy.

I didn't have an agreed value policy and also felt the same way as you, well out of pocket, and scratching around to get enough money for the next car. The insurance company weren't budging at all. You will never get the real value of what actually went into building your car, especially you can forget the man hours put into it (after all it's your choice to build a kit car), nor will you get paid to build another. It is just the reality of the situation. No insurer will cover the time spent building the car. If I look at my 3a, I spent 3k buying it, and another 2k getting it to where it is now. Is it worth 5k? Of course it isn't. It is worth no more than 2.5k - 3k, but the fact that I have spent hours rebuilding, and fitting better seats, dash, wheels, suspension, wiring, engine etc is not the insurer's concern, it is just my choice. I am not patronising you and I don't intend to be insulting, just kind of backing up what Graham has said. It is sadly the nature of the beast and only the insurer is the winner.

hi daz

i think we think alike

re the insurance .

ask our chairman how the insurance works , he will tell you .

its parts only then re evaluate the cost . re the value.

sorry to be a bad news bringer

but this is how it is ,

graham