New Engine First Run

Well second run really as I managed to finish the instal Friday night in time for a car show at my old school Saturday.

I had to over come gear engagement problems, overheating problems, new radiator, new oil cooler, new thermostatic fan switch, fuel pump problems, electrical problems, ignition map problems, oil pressure problems the list just went on and on.

today I finally managed to give it some stick, still running in and need to put a couple of hundred more miles on it but once you get to 4000rpm bloody he'll does it shift, I bottled out at 7000rpm not wanting to over do it but can't wait to hit the 8000 red line.

Yes it feels a little less willing at low revs but when it comes on cam Wow

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't take long to kill it,

Started with a rattle that turned out to be detonation, think the timing wheel for the VR sensor slipped.

Blew all the oil out of the breather as well.

Out it comes back goes the standard spare...... Bugger

That's bad news Snapper. Sounds like you might have holed a piston big time to seriously pressurise the crankcase and eject the oil. How much did you have skimmed off the head and are you sure the head was un-skimmed before you started. Did you titrate out head chamber volumes to confirm the C.R. was what you wanted it to be? How was the wheel fixed to the crank pulley?

At least you know you can build a seriously powerful engine. Now just need to work out the correct cause of the failure and eliminate it. Then rebuild. Sorry for your bad day.

Nigel

Sorry to hear it mate,

Had a similar problem myself this year. Blew a hole in piston No4 and threw oil out the filler. Might be lucky and just have the head gasket blown (had that happen too, cheap nasty head gasket lasted 100 miles!)

Fingers crossed its the later. Take head off and check before removing engine, a lot easier.....

Engine running as sweet as a nut now.

Good luck :clapping:

350 miles

Good news is no hole in the piston.

I compression tested then with number3 down on pressure I took the head off, looks clean with no bore scratches.

Next move is to put the spare in then strip out the pistons from the removed engine, hoping it's just rings then I will have it hot honed and put a new set of rings on.

Edited by Snapperpaul