Steering Column

Guest al695

Guest al695

Can anyone help with this.

Just tried to MOT my Dolomite Based car for its MOT. It failed on "worn steering bush" the bush in question is a piece of tube which the column passes through. The tube is welded to the chassis. The column is a loose fit in this tube but there is no sign of there ever being a bush in here as there is only perhaps a couple of mm clearance. Does anyone have this model with this arrangement? If it doesn't do anything but allows the column to rattle around in it can I cut it off?

Many thanks Al

Guest cheesewr

I have this model - glad to be hearing from a few more Dolomite S7 owners, though so far no two I've seen seem to be completely alike!

Anyway, my steering column does have a bush on it and it is a fairly tight fit through that hole. I have considered cutting it off to give more adjustment, but have also discussed with chairman steve the idea of replacing it with a spherical bearing going through the scuttle.

The only reason I can see for keeping it in place is that if the UJ should fail at the bottom end you'd have a steering column moving around in close proximity to your belts. But then if the steering failed that would be the least of your worries...