2b Gearbox Mounting Plate

Guest Phil Slater

Guest Phil Slater

Fellers

The big moment has arrived (well for me anyway) in that the engine and gearbox are going in tommorrow. I've got the stainless chassis with, as mentioned on the video, the "new" and "improved" gearbox mounting plates. My question is, does anyone know if this means in order for the 5 speed gearbox to fit, there is still a need to trim back the angled steel plate for the mount or, has the improvement done away with this need?

Any guidance will be appreciated.

TIA

Phil Slater

Guest TerryBarry

Hi Phil,

I found it necessary to remove a triangular section at the front of each bracket just to guarantee clearance.

The piece removed measured about 45mm x 45mm x 65mm. I could have got away with removing a bit less. The mounting bracket is well back behind where I removed the part.

I also offered up the engine & gearbox with the gearbox mounting plate in position and by placing this on top of the brackets it was then possible to mark the two holes from above. I then took the weight of the gearbox on a trolley jack - removed the bracket, then drilled the holes from above. It was necessary to move the gearbox across a bit to gain access with the drill for each hole.

Once done all I did was refit the bracket from below, pop the bolts in and remove the jack.

HTH

Terry