Zetec Spiggot Bearing

Guest Hammy360

I was quite content not knowing there was a 'right way round' for the spiggot bearing! Now I am going to have to go and look and see which way I have put mine in. 50/50 chance of it being right I suppose! mellow.gif

Guest sandy77uk

I don't understand why it's both engine and box out? Lift the engine up and slid thrust bearing onto Gearbox shaft and pop bearing into engine, lower and mate up

Edit, iPad f**kwittery

Guest The Modfather

To remove it just force wet tissue paper in the hole, let it dry and out it pops! Simples

However, it takes about 2 months for this to work!

Just leave it as it is IMO.

Daz

Guest Hammy360

cheers everybody! been over the garage tonight and disconnected everything and was hoping to pull the engineaway from the box on a dolly.... No joy so I have my mates hoist coming back tomorrow as I dont want to force it. If anyone else has removed a zetec from a zero whilst leaving mt75 in place Id appreciate any tips it just wont break away using the method I tried tonight....

Guest Alan_builder

Hi Chaps,

Clutch release bearing.

Well I believe it's not the engine (Zetec, Pinto or 8v DOHC) nor which RWD gearbox you have that counts, it's the clutch plate cover and flywheel combination.

As Nigle said above Ford were kind, the flywheels are all the same diameter with the same starter ring gear. As we are fitting Zetecs to RWD boxes which originally went on to Pintos the type 9 and MT75 are interchangeable onto the engines, but not our cars, MT75 won't fit in some chassis. The problem start with the Pinto clutch assy being deeper than the Zetec (2L and 1.8). So when mating your RWD gearbox you have to move the thrust bearing forward so the thing engages or use the ford Transit thrust bearing (longer) or change the clutch assy to a deeper one vis Pinto.

Not the last option is the best, simply put the 2L and 1.8 clutches are not up to the job. (Oh yes is it Westfield or Caterham, no matter who fit the 1.8 clutch to the 2l Zetec, well that is for racing and they keep changing the clutch plate)

Change your 2l flywheel for a 1.8 and have it drilled for a Pinto clutch. There are other advantages in weight (mass) and CF (mass nearer the centre). Read more on my web

No the Pinto flywheel won't fit the Zetec it has not the timing holes and the Zetec has one flywheel to crank bolt off set to set TDC.