Can It Be Done In The Car?

XSU976

Ok,

So on the way back from Barkstone I suddenly lost a cylinder and had to limp home, have left the car under its cover in disgrace for the time being but as I actually had a day to myself I thought I would try and find out whats going on.

Got the compression tester out but old age has taken its toll, spu it over and it didn't sound too good, like an asthmatic on a bad day, looking for a way forward took the rocker cover off hoping for someting simple like a broken cam follower, no such luck so went and bought a new tester, results are,

#1 = 120psi

#2 = 10psi

#3 = 10psi

#4 = 120psi

So can this be rectified with the engine in situ, under a cover on the drive?

I can raise the car to a reasonable height, I have swapped the sump in situ before and with the MOT about to expire I didn't want to be moving around.

What do you think?

Tom Hayden

Probably. Depends on just whats let go. To lose compression in two adjacent cylinders suggests head gasket gone between 2 & 3. Other possibles are valve, seats, pistons or rings but you would have to be unlucky to get two cylinders down on the same journey. So yes, pull off the head and have a look. Almost sure you will find the gasket in tatters. Might need to strip the head and have it refaced. %0 thou off and you can have a nice compression hike as well for a bit more power (as long as the head hasn't been skimmed already). You would then need to index the plugs to avoid plug to piston contact. Just a question of swapping them round till the electrodes are upwards away from the pistons.

Nigel

post-21-0-98108600-1309801500_thumb.jpg

Gents,

Thanks for the prompt responses, now you mention it I like the idea of the head gasket, the strip down would have started from the top down anyway.

The oil looks very clean still so I don't think there is a leak across the cooling system, we did thrash the nuts off the car & had a serious loss of water which I guess would have weakened the gasket its prety straigt forward in situ so that sounds like a plan.

Thanks for the guidance, feeling better already.

On the electrode clearance, I can understand the logic but that sounds like a 'plugs for life' job unless you are happy to keep lifting the head off, any way worry about that later.

Cheers,

Tom Hayden

Gents,

Thanks for the prompt responses, now you mention it I like the idea of the head gasket, the strip down would have started from the top down anyway.

The oil looks very clean still so I don't think there is a leak across the cooling system, we did thrash the nuts off the car & had a serious loss of water which I guess would have weakened the gasket its prety straigt forward in situ so that sounds like a plan.

Thanks for the guidance, feeling better already.

On the electrode clearance, I can understand the logic but that sounds like a 'plugs for life' job unless you are happy to keep lifting the head off, any way worry about that later.

Cheers,

Tom Hayden

Could you not just mark the plugs so you know when the electrode is up.

My gasket went between 2 and 3 a couple of years ago. There was no water in the oil or vice versa.

Andi

tom

just rip the head off , and check it out .

new gasket , job done .

dad

Graham ever the motivator,

you are right though and it will be done but feeling a bit stiff right now, just spent the weekend walking in circles for 24hrs in aid of cancer relief, didn't fancy doing the rover but it had to be done so it looks like next job is the head off, don't go too far I may need to pick your brains again.

Cheers,

Tom Hayden

Guest mower man

Tom please pm your address I have some thing for you !Re your engine prob if it's not the head gskt I would be very suprised !!!!!!! mick [ mower man ]