Different Engines Sizes

Guest leefy27

Guest leefy27

Newbie here and after some help/advice if possible. I am not up to speed with kit cars as used to my old spitfire.

Husband has a Robin Hood 2B with a 2.0lt pinto engine that recently had to be towed home due to one of the con rods snapping (what he said). I have been trying to find a replacement 2.0lt pinto engine for him with no joy (tried scrap yards and ebay)and was wondering if it is possible to use a 1.6 or 1.8 pinto engine instead or would that mean changing too many things to be able to use (gearbox etc)

Would it be a relitavly easy task to fit a smaller engine (okay husband would be upset that not a 2.0lt but would be happy that the car is back on the road) or is it more hassle than it is worth.

Is there an alternative engine that could be used without having to change too much on the kit car as husband wasn't best impressed with my suggestion of getting a different complete donor car and using engine, gearbox, loom, mounts etc

Any info you guys can give would be appreciated.

Guest mastarforth

HI

I am sure some people more knowledegable than me will be along soon as to the ins and outs of chanigng the engine (I dont think it will be that much involved other than the size of the engine etc.)

but why dont you find an engine rebuilder to take a look and rebuild the engine

may be easier and chaper in the long run

Guest leefy27

HI

I am sure some people more knowledegable than me will be along soon as to the ins and outs of chanigng the engine (I dont think it will be that much involved other than the size of the engine etc.)

but why dont you find an engine rebuilder to take a look and rebuild the engine

may be easier and chaper in the long run

Thanks for your quick reply.

I have called a few garages near me in leeds to get an idea of costs and have been quoted between £500 - £800 for a rebuild (some wouldn't even do it) which I don't know if these quotes are good or bad.

Have seen 1.6 & 1.8 engines available on EBay and online and I know that you dont always know what you are getting when you buy a second hand engine compared to getting your own engine re built.

Have tried ebay for a 2.0 but keep missing out on them

So long as you stick to another Pinto then there is little difference between 1.3, 1.6, 1.8 or 2.0. You should be able to pull the existing one out and remove all the ancilliaries, bolt them to the smaller replacement and shove it back in the hole.

1.8's were less common so some of the internal parts are hard to come by but as long as it's good to start with then you should have no need to be messing with the difficult bits.

Then keep looking for a replacement 2.0 or saving the pennies to change to something completely different at a later date.

Iain

Guest jasonmorris

There is a 2 litre bottom end on eBay at the moment for 70 quid and a cylinder head for 35.

These engines are very easy to strip down and rebuild at home.

Personally I would deffo source another 2 litre and not mess around with the smaller engines.

Just my opinion of course.

Jason

Guest sadjagboy

As has already been said, if you get a 1.8 or a 1.6 swapping is very straight forward. You might need to swap the flywheel as well as the ancils as Ford fitted different clutches/ gearbox input shafts (21 and 23 splines) and you won't know for sure what you have until you take the engine out (a 2.0 SHOULD be a 23 spline input shaft/clutch but might not be). But changing the flywheel is only 5 (I think) bolts and you already have a flywheel and clutch that works with your gearbox.

I changed my as I had a 1.8 but it had no compression, the only pinto I could find near me was a 1.6, so for £50 I bought it. In fairness I would say that if my engine had been a 2.0 I would have re built it. But my advice would be to get mobile as easily and in expensively as possible enjoy the summer and rebuild the engine as a longer term project.

Good luck

Angus