Exhaust Heat Shield?

Guest Jomeo69

Guest Jomeo69

ok starting to get on again.

So can anyone shed any light on how the Exhaust heat shield is held onto the exhaust on a superspec or any other car for that matter.

Tis really baffling us.

Tis just before IVA so needs to be pretty rugged im guessing.

Any Help would be massivly appreciated as always.

Joe

Don't need one for IVA but if you do fit it's the sharp edges that you need to look at, usually to fit you use very large trunking circlips and some bent ally to keep the shield off the can

Hi Joe,

If you are looking to fit the supplied heat shield that you fold around the exhaust, you may have 'problems' with the cooling louvres at IVA because they will have a sharp edge that could be a fail point and also face forward to some extent. The shield fastens to the rear most exhaust mounting bobbin and also clamps on itself - bit of a 'make it fit' job - no suprise there then!!

A better alternative would be to wrap the whole system in heat wrap, this will allow you to cover the lambda sensor as well. This is what others have done for IVA and is easier allowing time to work out the heat shield.

Unless you've forked out for one of the shiney pre-rolled heat shields for sale on E-Bay!

Good luck!

Al

Hi Joe,

If you are looking to fit the supplied heat shield that you fold around the exhaust, you may have 'problems' with the cooling louvres at IVA because they will have a sharp edge that could be a fail point and also face forward to some extent. The shield fastens to the rear most exhaust mounting bobbin and also clamps on itself - bit of a 'make it fit' job - no suprise there then!!

A better alternative would be to wrap the whole system in heat wrap, this will allow you to cover the lambda sensor as well. This is what others have done for IVA and is easier allowing time to work out the heat shield.

Unless you've forked out for one of the shiney pre-rolled heat shields for sale on E-Bay!

Good luck!

Al

Al,

Are saying the heat shield as supplied is an IVA fail even if you cover up the edges?

Every time I think I've reached the end they come up with something else!!

Jomo,

If you still want to fit it you can come round and see how mine fits. Basically it fits around the pudding basin thing at the front and the silencer body at the back. While you are here you can give me your opinion about the rest of the car.

John (jwts).

John / Joe,

The heat shield originally supplied with the SuperSpec was aimed at passing the SVA not IVA. Section 16 of the IVA details external protrusions.

Basically, as I understand, any protrusion greater than 5mm should be blunted (radiused edge), those less than 5mm but greater than 1.5mm should have a returned edge. The pressed out louvres on the heat shield may pose problems at the IVA as they do, to a degree, face forwards.

This could potentially be open to interpretation by the examiner on the day. Removing the problem eliminates this.

It would be a shame to fail on something simple that could be 'retrofitted' after IVA for the cost of £15 worths of heat wrap (the shield could fit over the wrap so you don;t have to remove it!).

Personally i'd remove the problem, but it's your choice - bit like fitting the windscreen pre/post IVA debate.

John / Joe,

The heat shield originally supplied with the SuperSpec was aimed at passing the SVA not IVA. Section 16 of the IVA details external protrusions.

Basically, as I understand, any protrusion greater than 5mm should be blunted (radiused edge), those less than 5mm but greater than 1.5mm should have a returned edge. The pressed out louvres on the heat shield may pose problems at the IVA as they do, to a degree, face forwards.

This could potentially be open to interpretation by the examiner on the day. Removing the problem eliminates this.

It would be a shame to fail on something simple that could be 'retrofitted' after IVA for the cost of £15 worths of heat wrap (the shield could fit over the wrap so you don;t have to remove it!).

Personally i'd remove the problem, but it's your choice - bit like fitting the windscreen pre/post IVA debate.

Al,

1. Where can I get this heatshield?

2. Do have a picture of it fitted?

3. What about the louvres on the bonnet?

I was talking to Richard on the GBS stand at Detling and while he mentioned the need to put a curve/lip on the end of the exhaust pipes and mentioned some problems people had had with covering bits of the front suspension he never mentioned the louvres on the exhaust shield.

How is your build going?

John (jwts)

John,

The heat wrap is available from the likes of Car Builder Solutions, Europa etc or E-Bay. Go for the 50mm wide stuff and employ a 'half wrap', which is basically overlap each 'wrap' by half. Use stainless steel ties to secure the ends and around any difficult areas - these ties are available from the same suppliers mentioned.

Sorry, don't have a picture, but look at Shafts build and you'll get the idea.

Louvres on the bonnet face rearward, so as I understand these shouldn't be a problem. The outlet pipes on the exhaust will require a radiused edge to satisfy Mr IVA.

With due respect to Richard, he probably is unaware of the specifics of the heat shield originally supplied with the RH SuperSpec - the current GBS exhaust can is enclosed with the proper edge radii etc.

As for the build, watch this space :rolleyes: :rolleyes: