Iva Confusion

Guest bluelewis

Guest bluelewis

Hi guys, ive just brought a robin hood 2b+ thats nearly finished but im spending my evenings reading up on info for the iva test.

But my first problem is i cant find a vin plate on the car,i have the v5 from the donor car,my problem is do i have to apply for a vin number or what do i do next, i brought the car of a guy on here who seems very knowledgeable and helpful and is going to send me build photos from the chap who had it before he did.

Any help is appreciated.

thanks in adavance bryan

the vin for the car dont exist , its a new car .

either you apply to dvla for a new vin or you can if you want make up your own .

biggest prob you may have is you need to have built the car totaly by youself and have photographic evedence of build .a part built by someone else is just that , you need to satisfy vosa that you have built it yourself.

iva = indivadualy built . ie you .

you will need to strip the car down to its componant parts and rebuild it to achieve iva status.

photos are required as are recipts .

graham

Guest MarkB

Graham, where do you get your information from, no you DO NOT have to have built the car by yourself to declare as an amateur built car, NO he does not have to strip the entire car back down and rebuild. the only recipts he needs is the Kit invoice and Donor invoices.

Why misinform people, if you have a problem with this Graham speak to your local Vosa office, i already have as i bought part built originally, if then you still do not agree check the amateur built declaration.

mark

just pre empting your reply

you say i am talking rubish re the individual build

please clarify .

iva is about an individually built vechicle built by one individual person .

not built by one person ,not sold to another and claimed to be built by the second .

sorry dude i have a lot of experiance with vosa .

read your personal reply ?

graham

Guest MarkB

mark

just pre empting your reply

you say i am talking rubish re the individual build

please clarify .

iva is about an individually built vechicle built by one individual person .

not built by one person ,not sold to another and claimed to be built by the second .

sorry dude i have a lot of experiance with vosa .

read your personal reply ?

graham

IVA is about the car not the builder, he can declare part built by another individual and completed by himself. What your saying is Grahem every part built car has to be stripped down and restarted??? i dont think so and you know so.

c. IVA - Individual Vehicle Approval

IVA is a UK National approval scheme for vehicles and trailers imported, assembled or manufactured

in very small numbers or as individual vehicles e.g. amateur built cars, bespoke trailers etc. It is a means of checking that vehicles broadly meet the technical requirements laid out in European legislation, ensuring that they have been designed and constructed to modern safety and environmental standards. Compared to ECWVTA and NSSTA, the IVA scheme is the least onerous certification route in terms of compliance and is less costly but does involve a physical inspection of each individual vehicle requiring approval at a Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) site in Great Britain or by the Driver Vehicle Agency (DVA) if in Northern Ireland. Satisfactory completion of an inspection results in the issue of an Approval certificate. Certificates issued under the scheme may be acceptable under the European “Mutual Recognition” provisions.

to add

the only way we have kits in this country is because they are individually built .ie built by the person that presents it for inspection

i have built 7 kits and ivad /svad 5 2 were rebuilds .

i cannott attempt to regester any more as i am classed as a manufacturer .

wrong mayby , as its only a hobby .my zero was tested under gbs .as i cant do any more .

my info is that any kit presented should be constructed by the person presenting it .

as an individually built car ,

thats the rules ,to ovoid crash tests and seat belt tug tests .

you can grizzle as much as you want , but unles you prove me wrong i will speak as i understand it .

to add we have a guy locally who canott get a test cos he cant prove he built the car , had it 2 years now , old photos ect.but he didnt build the car .

my advice was to strip the car and photo the rebuild as evidence of build .

graham

Guest MarkB

to add

the only way we have kits in this country is because they are individually built .ie built by the person that presents it for inspection

i have built 7 kits and ivad /svad 5 2 were rebuilds .

i cannott attempt to regester any more as i am classed as a manufacturer .

wrong mayby , as its only a hobby .my zero was tested under gbs .as i cant do any more .

my info is that any kit presented should be constructed by the person presenting it .

as an individually built car ,

thats the rules ,to ovoid crash tests and seat belt tug tests .

you can grizzle as much as you want , but unles you prove me wrong i will speak as i understand it .

to add we have a guy locally who canott get a test cos he cant prove he built the car , had it 2 years now , old photos ect.but he didnt build the car .

my advice was to strip the car and photo the rebuild as evidence of build .

graham

read this

Surley you didnt have a drink when you filled in the declaration and failed to see option 4 on 5 declarations.

and read this

i think you need to chill out . and not make personal comments you know nothing about .

we will see what happens re the regestration of this car .

mayby you were inviolved in the sale of this kit , i dont know ,

i only can comment on my experiance of the dvla . and the dificulity of regestering

a kit that you havnt built .

iva states an individually built vechicle

built by the person presenting it .

how can a second purchacer prove that if not rebuilt with photographic evedince.

graham,

mark

i dont need guidence notes.

just try to regester it ,i have a lot of experiance in this . if it works then great . but generally it wont.

you may slip past the outer guard of vosa .iva means individually built vechicle ,

built by the person presenting it for test .you might get away with it , but generally you wont .

you need to be further involved with vosa to experiance the intence commitment they

give to the iva , you need to appreciate the commitment they give to the test , not just the test but the regestration process , try it if it works , great , i applaud you .

however the question was different .

i have been denied a test at the application stage , cos i couldnt prove i had bolted it together .

so dont tell me about rules and regs cos it dont matter .

try it .

if it works great .if not ,mmmmmmmmmmmm

graham

Guest sandy77uk

Odd when I read the rules i only picked up on amatuer build is a build without professional assistance, not that the vehicle was started by someone else, as to the photos, I've taken them every step of the way along with reciepts however I've been told only to submit 3 or 4 that show the vehicle was built by me and not professionally

having said all that, I don't have the experience you guys do, just what i've been told

Guest Kennedy48

I'm not part of this arguement buy I bought a 2b fully built to sva regs. All iv don't on the car is change the indicators to the arches and changed the steering wheel to make it collapsable. I did have problems with proof of ameture build but I sent in photographs of the engine, fan, petrol tank close up and I got the car iva'd. The man from the technical department at vosa rang me up cos he wasn't 100% sure. I told him I bought the car fully build and I made the final adjustments to make it IVA passable. He said he was happy with that. I no expert, I no nothing. I'm only trying to help by my experience. Also car is mine and my grandad took it to get it IVA'd

Just to add my experience. The tester at VOSA asked questions of me that were clearly designed to probe my knowledge of the build but had I not built it myself would not have been a problem to answer if I spent some time looking at the car before hand. He never actually asked me "did you build the car?". The chap at the DLVA was only interested in what I had declared about the components on the form. If one was "cheeky" you could just not tell them you didn't build the whole car! None of my submitted pictures actually showed me doing anything on the car except that it was not a professional looking garage. The spirit of the declaration is clearly that you built it or at least had a major part in its bulid. However, it does vary as to how each examiner interprets the rules. As suggested earlier in the thread phone the VOSA centre that you have chosen to ask for advice.

Hi Bryan,

if you're in Bridgnorth then I'm assuming your IVA will be in Birmingham, which will probabaly have moved to Kidderminster by the time you get a test date.

From what I've heard from the Birmingham area members, I can't see you'll have too much problem as the testers in Birmingham are very helpful. Most of the known 'issues' have either a solution or a 'workaround' so don't be too scared off by anything you might hear. Graham is right is what he's saying though and it clearly demonstrates possible the biggest obstacle we face -

THE DVLA LACK ANY SORT OF CONSISTANCY, particularly between different offices and what might ok at one place could cause issues elsewhere. The key thing is to get the best understanding of what your particular tester is going to want to see and might want to hear and present the car on that basis. It's for this reason that IVA issues tend to raise such heated discussion here, don't let that put you off, we really are a very friendly bunch here :friends: :drinks:

It might be a bit of a trek for you but if you can get to an the Mids area meeting sometime then you can speak to some people who have passed at Birmingham and they'll be able to give some pointers so you can concentrate you efforts in the problem areas.

The Mids meet is the last Wednesday of every month, 7-00ish onwards at the Malt shovel Pub - more detailed loaction is here:

http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=28475&view=findpost&p=216533