Iva Confusion

Guest bluelewis

Hi guys, ive just brought a robin hood 2b+ thats nearly finished but im spending my evenings reading up on info for the iva test.

But my first problem is i cant find a vin plate on the car,i have the v5 from the donor car,my problem is do i have to apply for a vin number or what do i do next, i brought the car of a guy on here who seems very knowledgeable and helpful and is going to send me build photos from the chap who had it before he did.

Any help is appreciated.

thanks in adavance bryan

Hi

Avoiding the above "discussion".

You need to have the chassis number stamped into the chassis, or stamped on a plate, welded to the chassis, AND on a manufacturers plate which also shows model, manufacturing year, axle weights etc. this only needs riveting

As its a Robin hood, get the manufacturers plate from GBS, they will stamp it for you for a small charge. They can also stamp you a piece of steel that you can have welded on. It must be on the off side of the vehicle.

The number on the plate?

You can use the original chassis number from the log book. the vehicle then becomes the old vehicle with a new body and you should be able to get the old plate, if still available, or a Q plate. Going for a new chassis will mean its a new vehicle, and I suspect may get complicated. Engine, emissions etc.

V.O.S.A only deals with the testing, it's the D.V.L.A that makes the decisions, have a look at,

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/DG_177879

All the forms are available from there as are details of what you have to do.

Regards

Simon

Guest Noddy006

Hi all Sorry to see the bickering going on but as suggested ring 'LOCAL' VOSA for advice. I can however confirm that I bought an unfinished Sub K and apart from stripping brakes and parts of suspension then doing the IVA finishing I had no problem with amateur build status. I just declared that state of the car at purchase, confirmed completion by me and a few photos of car as bought and of work I did. To register I had a visit from DVLA rep to confirm major parts were as stated i.e. engine gearbox etc. again no problem just time lost. For info my IVA was at Leighton Buzzard.

One thing wories me, it is this sort of bickering which could well put off future buyers from perfectly good cars and whilst I don't want to upset anyone in this thread I do think we need to be more careful about some of the advice we give. All any of us can be sure of when it comes to VOSA is our own experience. Good luck with finishing the build. Ian H

Guest nurburg2006

Hi all Sorry to see the bickering going on but as suggested ring 'LOCAL' VOSA for advice. I can however confirm that I bought an unfinished Sub K and apart from stripping brakes and parts of suspension then doing the IVA finishing I had no problem with amateur build status. I just declared that state of the car at purchase, confirmed completion by me and a few photos of car as bought and of work I did. To register I had a visit from DVLA rep to confirm major parts were as stated i.e. engine gearbox etc. again no problem just time lost. For info my IVA was at Leighton Buzzard.

One thing wories me, it is this sort of bickering which could well put off future buyers from perfectly good cars and whilst I don't want to upset anyone in this thread I do think we need to be more careful about some of the advice we give. All any of us can be sure of when it comes to VOSA is our own experience. Good luck with finishing the build. Ian H

I spoke to the DVLA a couple of weeks ago and they told me to take picture and send them in to them, Dad is right!! They need pictures of the seat belt mountings fuel and brake lines if they are in the tunnel and a picture of you, take a picture of the sierra steering bush to prove it's new, on the day of the test you don't want to be stripping it down to show them the hidden parts. I hope this helps And good luck with your build.

Guest Alan_builder

Graham, where do you get your information from, no you DO NOT have to have built the car by yourself to declare as an amateur built car, NO he does not have to strip the entire car back down and rebuild. the only recipts he needs is the Kit invoice and Donor invoices.

Why misinform people, if you have a problem with this Graham speak to your local Vosa office, i already have as i bought part built originally, if then you still do not agree check the amateur built declaration.

Mark B you are quite correct.

I see there are lots of further interchanges between GDC (Graham) and yourself. On this URL we have a problem, contributors contradictions, often this is caused by well meaning people relating their experiences. Unfortunately ones experiences are not the gospel. You must look at the documentation, all of it. As posted else where, DVLA and VOSA Local offices vary in what they say, while they should be all the same.

I have started filling in IVA applications for a fee (£40) including the BUI documents. I make the following from memory, without reviewing the forms so there may be some errors!

The IVA Application doesn't ask who built the car.

The BUI form asks what you assembled.

In practice you need photographs to prove; details hidden from the examiner without disassembly and amateur build, the car being built in a home garage so it is not factory built. If it was built in a factory there is another system for short manufacture and so you take that route. Depending on what registration you are asking for / wanting, Q, age related or new plates you will need to furnish different quantities of receipts.

Other item I noticed was about the INDIVIDUAL BUILDER being the presenter. The IVA form asks for the details of the PRESENTER if it is different from the OWNER. IVA means Individual build - IVA stands for Individual Vehicle Assessment and when successful you get an IAC (Individual Approval Certificate).

Back to the original question of VIN number.

The system is the manufacturer supplies the VIN number, without one being presented VOSA will supply one. Robin Hood (pre GBS) said to use the receipt number and 13 other characters to make 17 in all, (Ford always used to put the engine number as the last series of numbers in the sequence). The easy way is to create your own and stamp the VIN plate available from GBS and also the chassis, on a rail. DVLA may ask you about the VIN plate as it also has the date of manufacture on it, you tell the DVLA inspector you added the date of completion. KIS

Alan

Guest Alan_builder

Hi

They can also stamp you a piece of steel that you can have welded on. It must be on the off side of the vehicle.

The number on the plate?

You can use the original chassis number from the log book. the vehicle then becomes the old vehicle with a new body and you should be able to get the old plate, if still available, or a Q plate. Going for a new chassis will mean its a new vehicle, and I suspect may get complicated. Engine, emissions etc.

Regards

Simon

Hi Simon

Please have a look at the documents, I don't remember this being so.

Guest Alan_builder

Hi all,

There seem to me to be a big problem here as I can see possible errors in many of the posts. Some are simple and some are serious.

Forget the Local DVLA and VOSA for advice. Contact Swansea by email in either case, you get a written reply nu email.

All you have to do is follow the IVA manual. (Yes its crap)

Fill in the IVA application form and send it to Swansea. The man there will check your form and attachments, photos, receipts and other information provided. About a week later the local VOSA test station will either call to verify test date or send a letter.

When you have your IAC (take a copy as you will loose it at the next step)

Apply to DVLA local office to register the car and fill in the BUI form and supply receipts. You will have to transport your car to the local DVLA office for the inspection, checking VIN number and Engine number. This may only be done on a few days of the week.

About a week later you will get your Authorization for number plates and tax disc. Time may vary due to the date you request the tax to run from.

Earlier I posted about the VIN number, follow that and the IVA manual on where to put it.

PM me if you want me to do your paperwork cost £40

A well built car with correctly filled in paperwork and questions are minimal.

Many officers don't know the system and try their best to help when giving advice and yes confusion is started.

Alan

Guest bluelewis

Thankyou to everyone who have taken time to give me advice,all views have been taken on board,Im mulling them over now but i dont know how im going to get reciept for original kit or donor car as i dont have access to them.I have been promised the build photos to get me through it.Thankyou Mark B i've downloaded the vosa forms and im reading through now.

This is my first experience of kit cars and despite the bickering im very pleased with this forum.Im going to gbs's open day on saturday 23rd so im hoping to speak to some experienced builders.

once again i thank you all :)

one thing for certain i wont be rushing the completion i just want things to be done correct.

bryan

Edited by bryan lewis

alan

thanks for the input

and the sales pitch re the paperwork .

re the original question .

i have been refused an sva by not having build photos, now mayby thats cos i have built a few or not i dont know.

but i suspect its because i didnt appear in the pics .

my reply was based on experiance not the written word , if you are out of the loop re the regs and the interpritation of the regs. i have a member here 2 years with a 2 b , trying to get a test.

no chance cos he says he didnt build it its still in his garage .

the dvla and vosa are not consistant , there rules are not consistant .

to regester a car you need to be whithin the rules

however the rules are changed from area to area depending on the interpretation .

there is no real rules or regs to work from , they are read aND INTERPRETED differently from area to area i can only speak from experiance , i try to help not hinder .

dad

Guest Alan_builder

alan

thanks for the input

and the sales pitch re the paperwork .

re the original question .

i have been refused an sva by not having build photos, now mayby thats cos i have built a few or not i dont know.

but i suspect its because i didnt appear in the pics .

my reply was based on experiance not the written word , if you are out of the loop re the regs and the interpritation of the regs. i have a member here 2 years with a 2 b , trying to get a test.

no chance cos he says he didnt build it its still in his garage .

the dvla and vosa are not consistant , there rules are not consistant .

to regester a car you need to be whithin the rules

however the rules are changed from area to area depending on the interpretation .

there is no real rules or regs to work from , they are read aND INTERPRETED differently from area to area i can only speak from experiance , i try to help not hinder .

dad

Hi Graham,

The simple answer is to get him to commission me. I haven't had the problems you are reporting.

IVA - ABD Section 1, 4th option

The vehicle was partially built by an individual for his/her own personal use and I have purchased the and completed the assembly of the vehicle and it is to be registered in my name.

The IVA application goes to a central clearing section in Swansea, there are 2 men and a woman in the section. They check the forms and will call you if they find a problem, I have had calls. The photos in one submission showed a car lift, I had to explain that the guy did have a car lift in has garage and offered to send pictures showing house and ramp in garage, he didn't take me up on it. As there is a central clearing section for the forms the chosen VOSA station is issued the job, the chosen station doesn't have a say in rejection the forms, I think that part of IVA is standard. The last 2 forms I sent in neither had the builder and his car together, in fact no people at all, not a problem.

Not only can you appeal against the IVA fail you can appeal about not getting a TEST.

The IVA testers are vetted by an Inspector on jobs. VOSA do try to ensure their IVA & MOT testers are all singing from the same sheet, however I do know that variations creep in. I have asked the tester to show me the fail paragraph in the IVA manual, as he could not he crossed that item off the fail.

I do vet the pictures which accompany the submission.

I have asked VOSA for compensation because a tester was not available at the scheduled time, I got it.

Next Time take a legal beagle like me.

Alan