Insurence For Under 21's

Guest Kennedy48

Guest Kennedy48

Was just wondering if anybody has insured a kitcar (any type, throw in a few options) for someone under 21. Eg, son/daughter or noticed insurers offering young drivers insuremce.

My cousins turning 17 soon and he's looking for a car. My grandads come up with an idea for my cousin to get himself a kit car. Cheaper insurence and he can learn how a car actually works.

Anyone got any ideas for insurers and what type of car.

Il try and pursuade him to get one with 3 mirrors.Haha

now keep on the topic and I don't want any arguments haha. Iv noticed a few popping up. Must be the rain and lack of driving.

Cheers

luke

Guest mower man

First port of call would be F.Pickles ,he is broker in yorkshire and is rated by many on here inc myself ,no doubt others will offer alternative options . I would think that the Reliant based car would be ideal for a first leap into kit cars at that age ,fairly straight forward build etc ,my thoughts only ! mower man :good:

Guest MarkB

I agree with Mick on the frank pickles, sorted me out very cheeply, as far as what car to buy... i do believe Phil Shelton has done a bit of homework on this for his daughter... pop him a message or he may offer his findings on this post.

i've never had any luck with footman james from age 22 onwards! Must be where he does his business.

Osbourne and sons were good for me when i was 21, and still consistently provide the lowest quote for me almost every year.

Guest The Modfather

On a similar note, my 17 year old step son is doing his lessons at the mo, and we were looking at getting him a car. We are only looking for a Ka or a fiesta (I'm a Ford man!) for around £1500. I went on Go Compare and with me as a named driver, kept on a driveway, 2000 miles per annum, him on a provisional licence, £1022.00.

Now I thought this wasn't bad. The AA wanted £5,300!!!!

Then I thought I'd have a play around and see what he could get. You won't believe this, it amazed me. He could have a BMW 320 convertible, 2006 year, £1388.00. Yes, £1388.00.

What else could he have........... how about a 2006 Jaguar 2.5 XJS? Yep, £1388.00 :shok: :shok: :shok:

A spotty 17 year old oiyk driving an executive car, on a provisional licence, for £1388. The AA wanted £8,400, LOL.

The company was Collingwood. It really doesn't matter who the company is as long as it's underwritten by one of the big boys.

I remember at 17, full licence, 30 year old mini clubman, insured for £201.00........... those were the days, eh?

Guest MarkB

Daz, put him down as a full license holder and watch the fee's rise, my nephew paid just under a grand as a learner in a fiat cinqucrappything, as soon as he passed they wanted 3500 off him :unsure:, he shopped about and got it lower but he had to pay a very steep cancellation fee on his old policy, the system may have changed but give it a go

Every insurer has area of buisness they want to attract and the AA are simply saying "we don't want you!" but we'll take the premium if you really want to pay it! The remarkable thing is that even at those prices, a lot of insurance companies still aren't making any profit on the basic policies. They make a lot more on the add on products like Uninsured Loss Recovery (Legal Cover) or windscreen cover etc. Many years ago the insurers could afford to run at a loss as they would make it up by investing the premiums, but not any more.

Guest The Modfather

Getting back to the original post, your cousin probably won't get a cheap kit car insurance UNLESS he has a second car, which a lot of companies like Pickles etc require.

Guest marsbar

Hi Luke sometimes kit car insurance can look cheap, my son insured a Dutton for ££420 when he was twenty, he got a quote for a MK Indy with a Honda Fireblade engine from Adrian Flux for £380, £350 if a 2 litre.

But Adrian Flux wanted £2700 for a Vauxhall Vectra SRI Diesel 120BHP, and he cannot get it much cheaper from anyone else, which considering he has a clean license and has driven since he was 18 and is now 21 is expensive.

From memory most companies want people over 19 so you may have a problem with the first 2 years, but you could see the attraction of something like a Sylvia Jester and 4000 miles per annum.

Good Luck your going to need it with a lad its a lot easier with girls.

Steve

Guest Kennedy48

Cheers guys. I'm only 22 and having a more powerful kitcar with half the price insurence than my main car does look good for first time drivers. Iv been driving 5years this year and I'm finally getting a good price on a normal car(good price for me but I'm talking about havin to pay £1000+) it's not easy these days.

Think his attraction is a shiny sports car instead of a 10 year old rust bucket which insurence 200% more than the value of car.

Il mention to him all your comments and yes he may need a 1st car which will defeat the point but something to start looking at.

Thanks

luke

My son is 18 full licence, pass plus, he has a tiny fiat Seicento which is worth about £1100 but fully comp is £1660 for 5k mles and garaged every night. It is a real rip but everyone has to get on the ladder at some point.

We looked at the kit car idea and best we found was a Quantum insured through the Quantum Owners Club which semed to be a bulk scheme, their 2+2 isn't so daft either as is XR2 based.

Good luck!

Mike

nice one for sale in North Shields too:

North Shields red Quantum

Edited by trextr7monkey

My son is 18 full licence, pass plus, he has a tiny fiat Seicento which is worth about £1100 but fully comp is £1660 for 5k mles and garaged every night. It is a real rip but everyone has to get on the ladder at some point.

We looked at the kit car idea and best we found was a Quantum insured through the Quantum Owners Club which semed to be a bulk scheme, their 2+2 isn't so daft either as is XR2 based.

Good luck!

Mike

nice one for sale in North Shields too:

North Shields red Quantum

what was the quote on the quantum thats one of the options I was looking at was going to put her on our car insurance (53 plate Piccasso) but they want an extra £1400 and that's only till the policy ends in 5 months.