Diff Oil Plug

gomatthome

need to get the oil filler plug out of the diff as it needs filling up with oil. stuck tight tried for three days now each time plenty of wd40.

have now stripped the allen key so looking for suggestions as to how to get the dam thing out.

help

phil

Phil,

Not offering much help sorry but I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Same as you I rounded off the allen key so ended up using a hot air gun, a good bang with hammer and a damn good pair of new vice grips. Unfortunately the end is chewed up and I could really do with a new one (could use the old one but messy). I am struggling to find a new one at the moment any help appreciated.

Regards

Mark

Because they are steel into aluminium they do the galvanic corrosion thing which is like super strength locktite. Same with the diff backplate securing bolts. Always give them at least two good bangs, hard, with a 2lb hammer to break the corrosion bond before you start trying to undo them. If you don't leave a slight mark on the head of the bolt you haven't hit it hard enough.

Nigel

Guest mower man

Can't add much to the above ,finished up cutting the head off and tapping the remains round with a centre punch, not much fun !!3hrs under the car . obtained a replacement from M.K.cheaper than Cattervan and only 10 mins away!. have meant to identify the thread[form and pictch[ not done it yet :good: mower man

After you have removed the bu33ered plug, is it a good idea to refit new with a spot of copper-slip on thread to stop corrosive seizure? Or will that lead to the plug coming loose under vibration?

Guest mower man

After you have removed the bu33ered plug, is it a good idea to refit new with a spot of copper-slip on thread to stop corrosive seizure? Or will that lead to the plug coming loose under vibration?

1 yes 2 no mower man :good:

Guest davidm

I had a stuck filler plug & gave up after 5 mins. Couldn't be bothered trying to get it out, so went for a simpler solution.

As my diff was already out of the car, I turned it on its side & drained the oil out through a driveshaft hole. Reinstalled the diff & one (push-in) driveshaft. Jacked the car up on the other side & refilled through that driveshaft hole, & then reinstalled the driveshaft.

If the diff hadn't already been out of the car, I would either have taken it out to do it this way, or just removed one driveshaft & turned the car on its side, onto something soft.

Guest davidm

I knew the capacity of the diff, so I just used a measuring jug. As a double-check, tip the rest of the bottle into another meauring jug, and make sure they add up to the capacity of the bottle.