Shell Optimax

Guest Alasdair

Guest rizla
;) in my opinion its just another ploy by the oil companies to get you to buy thier fuel,if it increses the octane rating then yes it will make a difference if not it aint worth it

I have found that it does make a difference in the Vauxhall engine. After 2 tankfulls, I was able to re-adjust the idle speed on the carbs, as it was running faster.

I did have to put 'ordinary' unleaded in during our welsh weekend, and it wasn't too keen on that, it's taken a couple more tankfulls of Optimax to get it right again.

Try it, but give it a chance, at least a couple of tankfulls. It's certainly not going to do any harm.

Guest gordon_macnab

Optimax is 98 RON whereas normal superunleaded is 97 and normal unleaded is 95.

Although it may cost more per litre if you set the car up right you'll notice the benefits in MPG and power. a friend of mine had a nissan 300 twin turbo that he used to run on normal unleaded because super was dearer but the few times he did fill with super the car went better and the petrol lasted longer.

Q8 superunleaded is also 98 RON. although BP ultimate is only 97

Why do I know all this useless stuff you may ask, well my everyday car needs to run on superunleaded and won't run right on anything less.

Gordon

I keep filling a suggestion form in at my local Tesco, saying that they could dump half of the LRP stuff, and replace it with super unleaded. As yet, they've taken no notice, and I don't think that it's because there's only one tank for each, there's a good few more 'grids'

Guest alan rowe

Hi all

I've been using Optimax now for over a year and the car is certainly better for it - its quite noticable on initial acceleration

Alan

Guest Alasdair

Thanks for all the replies. It seems like it's worth trying then. I shall try both normal unleaded and Optimax, say 2 tankfulls each at a time, and note the MPG and performance in each case. I'll post the results back here later on in the year.

:D

Guest Stuart Ainslie

I've started running Optimax in my bike - it does actually make a difference to how the bike runs.

Also, I am getting about 15 to 20 miles per tank more on the same journey.

Never tried it in a car though......