My Trip To Bogg Brothers

steve_wilson

hi all

i took the hood to bogg brothers on saturday, all went well, not issues on the drive there or back which was nice for its first long run out since a rebuild.

after a bit of fiddling and tweaking it made 125bhp on the rollers which by some rough internet based calculations is about 150bhp at the flywheel, which im very happy with!

only trouble is it doesnt feel as fast as it should do.

i had a play with a friends 2.0 mx5... one of the new style ones and it was pulling away from me from 40mph onwards, which is strange as its only 10bhp more and significantly heavier

so i guess my question is why isnt it very quick?!

i thought the gearing might be to blame. i dont know the diff ratio (i will find out) but it's a pinto on a standard type 9 box with 17" wheels

whats everyones thoughts?

thanks, steve

17" wheels and a 3.6 diff will give quite high gearing, first swap to a 3.9 this will help then look at the tyre sizes, may be worth putting on a set of 15" if you can borrow some,

I run 185 60 14 and have a set of 205 60 13's for track days on an S3.

Pinto 2b,s just aren't that quick, my 2b with same wheel power as yours was ok but any decent modern car would give it grief. I ran a 3.6 diff and 195 50 15. Now I have the westy which is prob 150 bhp and loads of torque it goes like stink and makes my old b seem really slow in comparison..

Robin hood/gbs dig

Tut tut

No dig what so ever! at GBS they are nowt to do with the 2B. having had a 2B for 5yrs i know plenty about them, pinto 2bs are not that quick zetec v8s etc will be, they are big heavy unaerodynamic 7's.. as for my westfield the more i dig the more it becomes like a an RH previous owners have bodged thing on it which i,m now in the throws of sorting

With a 130bhp pinto in an S3 mine was very quick, 14" wheels, 3.9 diff.

The lower diff makes a big difference

A 2b with 150 bhp should be as quick

Work out your power to weight compared with the MX5

My mate has an old Fisher Fury with a basic crossflow, 80 bhp if he is lucky, when I have a basic pinto fitted we are a close match.

It would be interesting to see the dyno plot of your Boggs visit, perhaps the torque curve will tell more.

havent had chance to see what ratio my diff is yet but i can get 60 in second... just

ive got a granada lsd diff at home which i was planning on fitting over winter but never got round to it. ill find out what ratio it is and it might be worth fitting fairly soon.

dont really want to change the wheels for smaller ones as they look great imo, and they give a little bit extra ground clearance.

i'll report back with my findings

cheers, steve

Guest big kev

No dig what so ever! at GBS they are nowt to do with the 2B. having had a 2B for 5yrs i know plenty about them, pinto 2bs are not that quick zetec v8s etc will be, they are big heavy unaerodynamic 7's.. as for my westfield the more i dig the more it becomes like a an RH previous owners have bodged thing on it which i,m now in the throws of sorting

Oh dan got u biting again lol

Guest mower man

1.I run a mono Hood with basicly a std pinto bored to 2.1, similar computation gave me circa 120 bhp at the flywheel ,while running a3.37 diff I could never get more than 90/95 out of it ,fitted a3.6 diff recalibrated speedo now it will run round to 90+ very comforttably in 4th with more to come, this is on 205 x50 x15 which give a rolling radius similar to the orig 185x70?x14 combo on the sierra. It's my opinion with out checking that you are over geared, what size tyres are on the 17"wheels you are on ?,guessing[a bad habit] you probably need to fit a3.9 diff or drop wheel size to 15" and a 3.6 diff which gives a nice 70 legal cruise at 3000rpm and theoretical max of 138 if you have the power to pull 6000 in 5th my ops only not carved in stone! mower man :good:

Ive just done some quik calcs,--if you want to keep your 17"wheels you need to fit a 3.9 diff this would give the following at 6000 rpm 1. 28

2. 54

3. 78

4 105

5 126 mph

This similar to my setup on 15 with a 3.6 .the upper 2 depend on bhp,aerodynamics and weight and may not be atainable! HTH :good:

If you can hit 60 in 2nd your overall gearing is way too high, whether its the diff ratio or the rolling circumference of the 17s....probably a combination of both...

have a play with this

My linkgearcalc

HTH Bob

If the link wont work just look up GEARCALC.... its on the locost site

right had a look at my spare diff and its a 3.62 so it's currently in the for sale section!

whats the best/easiest way to test my current diffs ratio while fitted to the car?

i remember something about one wheel in the air......

and the rest has escaped me

thanks, steve

Guest SEgan

Pinto 2b,s just aren't that quick, my 2b with same wheel power as yours was ok but any decent modern car would give it grief. I ran a 3.6 diff and 195 50 15. Now I have the westy which is prob 150 bhp and loads of torque it goes like stink and makes my old b seem really slow in comparison..

Your new car sounds very impressive but you seem to have changed your tune somewhat regarding your old one!

[quote name=notimpressed, on 02 September 2010 - 08:16 PM

]

mine flat out "on the track" was fine with the handling very stable, 0 to 60 it seems to be about the same as my mates lotus exige s

Guest T6 KFR

Your new car sounds very impressive but you seem to have changed your tune somewhat regarding your old one!

No way a RH is as fast as an exige...I used to own one I know. With the 2b its power to weight ratio, and take it on a track its as quick as the drivers ability...within reason.