Zero- Fitting Wings

Guest Hammy360

Guest Hammy360

Hi all,

Im about ready to fit the front and rear wings on my Zero. Are the front ones just bonded on and is there any particulair way they need to positioned in reference to the wheel/tyre outer edge? Any tips at all on the rears as I notice theyre not pre-drilled. What size riv nuts should I use??. All tips welcome!!

Guest Zero-MN

Hi all,

Im about ready to fit the front and rear wings on my Zero. Are the front ones just bonded on and is there any particulair way they need to positioned in reference to the wheel/tyre outer edge? Any tips at all on the rears as I notice theyre not pre-drilled. What size riv nuts should I use??. All tips welcome!!

We used about 7 M6 rivnuts per rear arch (only had M6 ones around! should be ok) for ours

And tiger-sealed the arch stays on the fronts then just plonked the arches on with a wheel fitted to check forward/back/side to side positioning. A bit of weight helps hold them down like a phone directory or similar. Check IVA manual to see how much tyre should be covered.

Hi Hammy,

As above mate, bolt the rears and bond the fronts.

For the fronts i riveted a peice of render drip bead to the cycle wing arms

to provide a really good bite for the sikaflex (see pic below).

Ensure you abrade the fibreglass well and degrease to give a good key.

For IVA, face the wheel and imagine a line running from the centre of the hub to 30 degrees clockwise

from the vertical. Anything further than this is fine for the IVA.

HTH,

Nick.

SSL23036.jpg

Guest joshrob

Hi hammy me and my dad have put one rear arch on and doing the other soon. we used m6 rivnuts and then used 12mm washers on the grp side. We have used ali rivnuts and once we are happy with them will use locktight

Guest dinger

Josh,

Dont use locktight, you will never get them off again as the rivnuts will spin in the ally, put some copperslip on the threads, mine have not loosened in a 1000 miles.

Guest dinger

Any tips for drilling the holes in the rear wings to mount to the rivnuts?? :help:

Light pressure at high speed Mate, to slow and it will make a mess on the other side

Guest Hammy360

Light pressure at high speed Mate, to slow and it will make a mess on the other side

cheers mate, how about the positioning and marking the holes b4 drilling? (or am I being dense)

IVA calls them wheel guards but then describes them as having to cover the whole of the TYRE through certain angles as below and when viewed from vertical, horizontal and longitudinal aspects. They seem to make an assumption that the tyre sides will stick out more than the wheel itself which is usually true.

Pic below and paraphrased words are from IVA manual.

Nigel

post-21-0-14177200-1312733736_thumb.jpg