Rover Engine

Guest stevenkirk

Guest stevenkirk

Have a problem with the engine in my Superspec. Whenever the engine warms up, when I take my foot off the accelerator - the car does not slow down. A bit scary when coming to a junction. When I dip the clutch the revs soar and do not settle down - even after a few minutes.

To "cure" the only way is to turn off the engine and restart and the problem is solved only to return when I drive again. The problem was intermittent at first but now is more or less there most of the time.

It is not a sticking throttle body which everybody seems to think it is - I have lifted the bonnnet when the revs are high and pressed/checked the throttle linkage but it is in the fully closed position althoiugh I have not yet removed the air filter to actually look up the throttle body to check the butterfly flap.

There is no diagnostics available for the ECU ( Rover MEMS ) so am stumped where to look.

The engine is a T-series 2L multipoiunt injection.

The fault still occurs even when the stepper motor is disconnected. And just this week the revs are raising slightly when idling and then settling back down.

How can the engine run smooth at what sounds like 3/4 throttle with (I am assuming a closed throttle butterfly flap) where is it getting the air to run?

Have sprayed carb cleaner around the inlet manifold gasket to check for a leak but no altering of the idle.

]

I posted this last year to no avail but am hoping some "new blood " will have a clue.

Hi Steven,

There is limited knowledge of the T series as they were only fitted into the 'original' Superspecs and are no way near as common as the Ford engines.

There were some issues with earlier Robin Hood supplied ECU's. A few members sent theirs off to Avon Diagnostics See Link

Apart from the ECU, there is the Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP). This is the tube running from the inlet manifold to the ECU. There is a potential for this tube to become blocked with vapour residue blown back through the induction system This could result in the ECU sending false signal to the injectors/TPS.

There was a paper published on the internet about the MAP sensor problem, but i'm buggered if I can find it again, so the above could be a load of total hogwash - but it was is was along these lines. But for a short length of vacuum tube it's got to be worth try.

That's about my limit of knowledge i'm afraid!

HTH

Al

I know very little about the later MEMs units but the early one on my K series you could reset the stepper motor by turning on the ignition, quickly opening the throttle 5/6 times, the stepper motor would buzz then turn the ignition off, leave for 30 secs then start the engine.

You could try posting it on the locost site or just send the question to a chap called British Trident on there he seems to know loads about Rover engines and is very helpful.

Guest Peter Kelly

Hi Steven

My S.S. sometimes continues to rev when the pedal is lifted, but only during the warm up period. Could the rubber pipe between the inlet manifold and the ECU be disconnected or damaged? Just a thought.

You could try posting for advice on rovertech.net :help:

Good luck

Peter

Hi Steven,

Could be a sticking/faulty Idle Control Valve. Which maybe a stepper motor type or just a linear motor that just has a varing voltage applied to open/close the apature.

Could try un-pluging it from the ECU.

Nige

just heard back from the guy in the rover club.

Unquestionably the man to speak to is Trevor Baxter of BXR cars, www.bxrcars.co.uk, and tell him colin robson recemmended him and he will be kind on the price, they just moved to Bangor so tell him to ring for a chat and to get the enw address.

hope that helps. he's a rover nut so may just be worth having a chat to on the phone. they tend to be quite generous with advice in my experience.

this thread may also be handy in future

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=70360&highlight=bxr

paul

Edited by Swan Jnr