Club Membership

philshelton

Hi guys is the club giving to much away for free. This has been on my mind for a while now, non members have full access to this forum join us at events. Enjoy our hospitality in the way of free beer and hog roasts as well as tea coffee and free bbq. on top of this they get free web forum access to for sale and wanted adds. Are they to tight to pay £15 come on guys do we want them getting our bargains taking our knowledge and enjoying our food and beer at shows for FREE?????????????????????????

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree to a certain point,if we were to tighten the availability of information to members only, i thinkwe will alienate many future builders/members. I joined here, like many, way before i even got a car, the information i read made my mind up regarding what kit car i wanted. If you are going to tighten things up then i think time has to be taken to produce faqs regarding the full range of RH's very much like the nw hoodies site, lots of basic and more advanced advice and info, why cant we have webpages like that here, pay Matt to do it, if he wants to take it on, the club can certainly afford it. I do think that some think why pay £15 i get the same for paying nowt, that will always happen, as far as beer/hogroast goes.. well thats easy.. we all get membership cards every year.... show them. Cups of tea at the stands........ thats open for all because thats what we are all about... we aint Westfield or Catering Vans... we welcome everybody to our circle.

A lot of thought needs to go into this before action, i think a members only forum could be opened to air peoples views and opinions or to keep us informed of any plans way before a decision is made.

Guest ethanicus

Why not drop the price 50% for the balance of this year for a limited time. This is the best site for GBS/RH car builders that require detailed precise help. Plus Owlman is working hard to build a group in the South :-)

Guest jhfozzy

I completely agree with the OP.

In another forum I am registered with [The MLR], membership is £35 which I pay yearly without a seconds thought as firstly it gets me around 10% off my insurance [approx £70] on my group 44 Evo with the Pace Ward who is the group's insurer. That alone saves me £35.

Non members cannot sell on the forum, cannot see the comprehensive repair manuals we have for every model of Evo and although they can see the "for sale" section and buy from it, adverts appear three days later to them than for paid-up members.

Members get discount from the MLR shop, discount from traders on the site and elsewhere too.

All that is worth my £35 any day.

We do get the odd moaner on the site complaining about the fee, but to be fair we have around 3000 paid up members so it's no great loss.

Guest 2bsprint

It is always a hard one to answer, as the biggest benefit of any car club is the other members and the knowledge that everyone has.

We all know that the build instuctions that GBS/RH provide are rubbish and that they would actually really struggle if the club didn't exist due the amount of help the club members give builders (including myself) and that if the club didn't exist there would only be about half the number of cars on the road

If I didn't interact with other members and sat at home and just received the mag, then I may have a different option whether the club was good value for money - as you wouldn't see any of the free tea/coffee, bbq etc

My personal option is that club carries on being a friendly club even if that we give stuff away, but maybe that we should membership forms next to the tea cups

PS I am a member, its just that the forum thinks that i am not

I have no problem sharing knowledge.....enough people helped me when I was building, & this is a way for me to pay it back (pay it on??).

I am happy for the club to provide tea/coffee at shows to attract new members.

But I have an issue with supplying free beer & hog roast to non-members, especially as

the shows where this is on offer are too far away for me to attend. (I know thats my choice...I could spend upwards of £60 in petrol to get a free bap...)

Grub & beer ONLY on production of a current membership card seems entirely fair to me.

Bob

Guest Kennedy48

The thing is with me. Nothing happens around me. Can only attend two shows a year cos all the other ones are too far and these two are a good trek aswell. I did put a question on before I became a member. What are the benifits. I decided to join. But I wasn't a member for a month or so and this site helped me out alot. So I thought I'd pay the fee for all the help iv got. But to me I get no benifits I don't think. I don't thi k I would have joined this forum if I had to pay for it up front. Could have been rubbish. So because you can view then I realised it was good then I payed the money. For something like that you could get 1-2 months free trial then after that you have to pay.

Luke

Guest 2bsprint

But I have an issue with supplying free beer & hog roast to non-members, especially as

the shows where this is on offer are too far away for me to attend.

Grub & beer ONLY on production of a current membership card seems entirely fair to me.

Bob

Which show is the free beer and hog roast at?

Totally agree with the above.

There does not seem enough incentive for some to join the club as too much info is available for free.

Perhaps some info could be restricted to members only, without seeming to offish for newcomers/ community users.

For me just meeting some of the people here is worth every penny... :air_kiss:

Grub and tea on display of membership card is a good start.

Maybe some restrictions on this site for non members (as mentioned previously)

What ever happens RHOCAR is still the best club for members by far! :drinks: It's the members that make it so :good: :good:

Guest mower man

I suppose I'm lucky being in the centre of the country perhaps 2 shows are generally not considered Detling and Exeter ,a lot of brilliant members in easy reach , time to contact people on the net and an interest in what other people are doing .As for the cost ,a goodly number will spend on a night out with the wife, girl friend, boy friend ,mates what ever more than the cost of yearly member ship ! £15 gets you 10%of your ins ,minimum £10, a magazine at least 3 times a year or on line if you want ,acsess to a mountain of info if are bothered to ask .As for events locally organise some thing and put the info on here you might only get one reply but its better than sitting on your arse moaning .People seem to think most of the events nobody will talk to them ,do they approach any one ,rarely !,we all started of not knowing who to talk to be but get involved then it might happen!!--- :good: mower man [mick ] see some of you on sunday at Tatton Park and later at stafford p.s. may be some kind of limit to no of questions asked as a non member before member ship ?or a sliding scale to cost to allow you to try before you buy?

Edited by mower man

All as Mick says above; but simplified. Free to all in first year or part there-of,membership to be paid by end Feb,lanyard with card to be issued so we know whos/who/what (will get over the probs of introduction/forgeting names) then if after the several free months you don't wish to join as full member why are you still here? :mellow: :mellow: :unsure: :unsure:

I think one of the committee needs to speak to Matt and find out what restrictions the forum has available. I have had a little look at other sites and membership prices and we are one of the cheapest around. As far as events go, the far north do not seem to have many events to attend except long distance, but, I'm sure if they look around their areas and find anything with weekend camping, if it is brought to rhocar's attention people all over the country can have a look and see if it is something they would like to attend. As I have pretty much already said, I am against a full non member lock down if the club, I think that would be against what this great community of kit builders is about, however I do think some slight restrictions are required.

I personal think that certain sections on the forum should be members only ie putting for sale adds on and wanted adds up, i think the tea and coffee is such a marginal cost it should remain as it is with a donation pot by the kettle.

The hog roast should be strictly members only and so should the beer but rather than flashing members cards perhaps a voucher could be printed off here but only availble in a members only section. easier to keep a tab on who is troffing what... if after all the members have had there fill and there is pig left then sell the hog roast to non members at a cheap price and put the funds into the club or a charity.

£15 is nothing in the scheme of things i really do not believe people are that hard up they cannot afford it. All this valuable info is worth the money alone, if the club goes and the forum dissapears so does all the info with it..

As for going to shows and no one talking to you it happend to me in the early days but in hind sight it was as much me as anything, i have now made a lot of really good friends through this club, but it involved getting off my arse and making an effort..

There is two things i think we should all do and that is 1, wear an id badge of some description with forum name and real name on it and 2, put a sign in the car when on display with similar info

it would make new and future members feel more able to approach people... the times i have been chatting to someone and have no idea who they are on the forum

I may have bought a westfield but i will remain a paid up member for some time to come yet.. it is a great club with some really good people!

roll on stafford !