Club Membership

philshelton

Can I say again unless something has changed recently it's Mat's site, not the clubs. Perhaps before you all go putting restrictions up I think it would be polite to ask the owner. Or maybe ownership has changed.

Nigel

I've always run the site on behalf of the club, and changes WILL be made that will give members better benefits (These have been decided by the mods, not me). just a matter of getting the time to make the changes. As for the site, I've run this site since 1998ish and donated space on my company webserver, my time, and software costs (IPB 6 monthly fees) to run it. I've never asked for anything but I have had some cash come in from advertising for which I am grateful.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair Matt, I think any costs incurred should be given back to you, its not like the club can't afford it. As with all the people who help keep rhocar running, area secs, committee members, events sec etc and your good self, we appreciate all the time and effort they put in.

Guest boggybogstar

"I was a member but aint now, nothing in it for me" well if there is nothing in it for you why are you still here??

Im still here because I absolutley love the kit car hobby, driving it is fantastic. Ive tried (like others) and failed to organise runs on here, Kimbolton was succesfull in terms of numbers but the Rhocar members unfortunatley opted for a quick dash up the Mway instead of a group run through the twisties to the show - shame because the route we took was fantastic and we only arrived 30 to 40 minutes later.

So Im still on here to encourage Southern members to also enjoy what I enjoy, and get them to enjoy runs (through that other site beginning with S), so they can come back on here and tell you all about it and try to encourage others. (honest guv, some sceptics might disagree but I really believe in the principle of embracing other clubs rather than closing the doors on your own)

Back to the original question though - apart from the 'runs' as typed above Im obviously freeloading, enjoying the reading material and advice from posters - and learning from it - for free!!!!.

You may well have convinced me, I'll have a pondor, I might just throw £15 at you at the end of this year for the pleasure of reading the material, and - it will obviously allow me to post my views on organised events in the South using that other site (beginning with S)

Edited by Tony B

Kimbolton was a great joint club day out I was last out the car park and was pushing hard to catch up, didnt know you had taken the 1st left and by the time i was at it ands saw the rear of a kit it was to late to turn. Was great to all park up together and lend a wheel wrench guess carrying one is excess weight :vava:

Well as you will now i,m now the owner of a westfield, i needed some info and wanted to learn about the history of westy so joined there forum, (not club) i posted up a pic of the car and said what it was and according to them its not a westy as the company did not make a v8 until 1991 and didn't do it with live axle's... v5 says westy all the reciepts and build manual are westy etc.

what an unfreindly narrow minded bunch of ---- The thought that you could take a car and modify it from its original design is inconcievable to some of them on there !! i even dared

mention that if they would like to see the car it would be amongst the RHOCAR stand at stafford, that prob went down like a lead balloon :spiteful:

Point being this is a great club the £15 is worth the forum alone, i have learnt so much from other people on here being kind enough to share there wealth of knowlage for nothing.. the beer / pig / gazebos etc is just a bonus... ( will not be joining the westy club by the way)

Get to stafford come and find the s.yorks crew pull up a chair and as long as you have a sence of humor you will have a good laugh... (beards are optional) :pardon:

Guest mower man

Looks like you paid for the whole pig, Mower Man!!!

Thats the spend since I've had the car and my maths are wrong I bought it in 2002 Sept and joined that summer so it's 9x15 = 135 and its been worth it mower man :good:

I've met some really great members on this site and had loads of help.

Personally, and it's just my approach, I feel wouldn't have the right to ask for the advice (and more - thanks lads you know who you are :good: :good: ) without investing my £15 for the past years.

Looking forward to enjoying my pig sarnie and pint (or 2) of twig grumble belly when feeling brave enough to camp over - us Southerners you know (ooo, is that another thread forming....) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Been said before, but i'll say it again, without the members the club is nowt

Guest The Modfather

I haven't been to any shows this year due to my shifts. I cannot blame anyone for this obviously, but I still pay my dues regardless. I too have thought about not paying my dues seeing as you get everything apart from member benefits, which in reality isn't much.

Perhaps closing off some of the forums and adding some extra ones for members only?

OK, I've sat and watched this develop for a few days now and I'll give you my thoughts on a couple of the issues that have been raised.

The hog roast at Newark and real ale at Stoneleigh are provided for members enjoyment, and their families under the club constitution are afforded the same benefits as paid members. The question is where do you draw the line? One family member, or wife/husband, kids, grand kids, friends? Now look at how many members camp at these shows,40 at Stoneleigh? Maybe 50 at Newark, not even 10%of the membership, so what do we do for the other 90% of the members who either can't, or decide not to attend the shows?

I for one will not be standing around asking for membership cards or vouchers, peoples conscience should govern their actions. If however it is such a big issue, the easy answer is to not provide either at the shows, but I feel that is a backward step.

Tea and coffee is a great idea, it's pretty much self funding from the donations that are made. The issue I have is people expecting cafe service when they walk in the gazebo, or using the last of the water etc and just walking away. It's self service and if you use the last of something do something about it, don't just walk away.

As Mat said above, the forum is his with a small donation from the club toward his costs. Sorry but I don't agree with locking it down to non-members, but do agree there should be some restrictions. I've said before that I think the Westfield forum is run how we should run RHOCaR. Non-members can see all parts of the forum and post in most sections, what you can't do is respond to any adverts, you can't contact members, use the message facility or view members profiles. Adverts don't carry contact details so if you want to respond you have to join, and even then you have a 28 day wait.

It has been said that we own the info on the forum because we've worked through the problems and it should be kept 'secret'but it's all out there in peoples blogs etc, and it's also a little hypocritical when we, as a whole, are happy to point people asking questions to Big Jim's NW site, Battery Bill's site, Colin Usher, Dave Andrews etc etc.

The Area Secs are a point of contact for people in their region. Yes, co-ordination of events is something that most of them do, but it is not solely their resposibility. These are working people just like the rest of you with limited time, so if you want more going on in your area, get off your backsides and help them, look for events, contact other members - you all get lists of email addresses, post something on the forum, plan a day out, it's not hard. Just don't sit saying there's nothing going on for me, get pro-active.

John only organises one trackday per year as when he tried to fill two we just ended up with limited uptake and losing money, so it was cut back to the situation we have now.

Is membership good value for £15? You can get 10% discount on you insurance, which can be worth more than £15, up to four magazines a year, which come out at about £2.50 an issue with postage etc, the notorious hog roast and beer, help and support from Area Secs, other members, phone calls, emails,reduced/free entry to some of the events that are organised for you, friends and banter.

We need to concentrate on encouraging new members, not talk about excluding people. We haven't got to 600 members this year, a drop of 120 from two years ago, all this hand wringing and self critisism on an open forum isn't going to have people rushing to join up. Lets start to be positive about the club and not putting a downer on things all the time.

Your last paragraph is what the whole load of postings are about --- nearly 600 paid up members out of 4,362 board members. How long do friends remain so when he/she is Always "in the loo" "at the back of the room" when it's their turn to buy the next round.

Your last paragraph is what the whole load of postings are about --- nearly 600 paid up members out of 4,362 board members. How long do friends remain so when he/she is Always "in the loo" "at the back of the room" when it's their turn to buy the next round.

that was my thought when the post started we need to encourage membership a few site restrictions my help and mr not impressed, shaft and me asking to show your card next year may get some thinking. we are a inclusive club and thats the way it should be. for those that say nothing is going on in my area get of your arse. Steve organised a fantastic trip to france this year we got 8 kits and 4 tintops come on guys what do you want. I am now looking at a trip for 2013 and guess a couple of 4 bed gites will do. we are not mind readers we need to know what you want so please tell us, should we have a suggestions/ shall we do section to the forum but dont forget that only 10% of members use the forum no doubt this will increase as younger members get involved. This is a fantastic club I got to stay with a club member on the way to france even park the car in a garage. members who will make bits for you for free or at cost. for all this I am grateful and long may we stay this way as a all car inclusive club that welcomes families we just need to ensure our future by no losing members because they can get it for free. that how i feel hope it does not upset any one but its the truth as i see it.

Steve.

I personally believe the £15 is worth every penny. However I think you hit the nail on the head 'We need to concentrate on encouraging new members, not talk about excluding people'.

I am in business improvements, increasing efficiency, improving customer experience and reducing waste etc. and the first question we need to ask is what are our customers(existing members/potential members) requirements? List the benefits/functions for non-members and members, like it or not we have to consider the whats in it for me! Which boxes does it tick for the widest audience. Why Rhocar/who's the competition? What do they offer? I can go on and on and on......I am pasionate about my this subject and beleive in the tools and techniques.

After this message I will be signng off for a week - no internet/no pc/no technology - hoorah. I will send a few ideas that may help, possibly going over old ground but worth some consideration.

Regards

Mark