Drive Shafts Stripped Down

neil's

Hi all,

I have just got myself a 3.6 diff Lobro type LSD (i think) and drive shafts of a K plate 2.0L sapphire from a local scrappy. I have striped the shafts down as i want to put new cv joints on, as one was damaged i am going to replace them all, inner's and outer's just to be on the safe side.Can anybody tell me, are these the same item as i can only find outer cv joint from a company call J&R at 20 earth pound each, which i thought was no a bad price. When i striped these units down the look identical but not sure if they are or not. Also i have noticed that that one of the drive shafts is longer than the other by an inch or so and has 2 additional cir-clips located about 2 inches down the splien does anybody know if the other side should have these cir-clips on them or if it is a different type that has been replaced at some point, and if not, and this is right which side goes where as i didn't take note of which side was which (lesson learnt).

Thanks

The diff is biased towards one (drivers I think) side so the shorter one goes on that side. It should be fairly obvious on the car as the holes they fit into so-to-speak are different sizes. It's been a while since I've been messing around with Sierra stuff so I'd have to go and look myself to confim which side is the shorter.

Are you sure it's a 3.6? it would be fairly unusual for a 2.0 Sierra to have a 3.6 LSD - they normally got the 3.9. But then it would also be unusual for a 2.0L to have an LSD at all as they normally only got fitted to the XR4x4, GLSi4x4, Ghia4x4 or Cosworth 4x4 models. But given the age anything could have been fitted by a previous owner or two.

Iain

Don't bother changing CV joints unless they knock when driving, realy not worth it.

LSD turn the input shaft both outputs should turn the same way.

Turn an output shaft while holding the other should be nigh on impossible.

Don't bother changing CV joints unless they knock when driving, realy not worth it.

LSD turn the input shaft both outputs should turn the same way.

Turn an output shaft while holding the other should be nigh on impossible.

I wouldn't go as far as impossible - you can certainly feel resistance but it's only if you try to do it at speed that the liquid goes into "hump" and it really does it's stuff.

Iain