Manifold And Steering Rack Problems

Guest adey1984

Guest adey1984

I have recently purchased a 4-1 manifold for my pinto powered 2b(sliding pillar) manifold fits nice and exits the car well, only problem is it now sits in the way of my steering rack! What's the easiest way to sort the problem? Does anyone have a similar setup and have some pics of how there's is built? Thanks in advance

Guest adey1984

cheers for the help peeps, on to my next question if you can help.

i can move the upper part of the column to suit the rack but the joint half way up the rack will hit the chassis, is there any reason why i cant cut it off and weld the upper and lower parts together, or posibly sleeve and dowl it?

Hi Adey,

I dont think you can have a straight column...it just wont fit.

IIRC on my sliding pillar there was a joint that came just under the servo mount...is that the one? It is possible to slide the triangular inner part of the upper column into (& out of) the part attached to the steering wheel boss, so it moves the joint away from the chassis. It is stiff. Also mark it so you dont go too far in or out, about an inch max is possible. You can also replace the fixed support where the column goes through the firewall with a bearing that bolts to the firewall. You can move it to suit your own setup. Cant find the bearing details at the mo' just do a search on here.

One more thing....make sure the bottom end of the column is firmly fixed to the serrated shaft from the rack itself. There should be a bolt that runs across a groove locking it all in place.....this setup was a bit of a lash up...the serrations dont match properly.

HTH Bob

Guest adey1984

Sorry I probably didn't explain it, my complete steering column was I 3 pieces. The shaft that came off the triangular joint was in 2, when I moved it to suit the manifold the joint half way down was hitting the chassis, was a fixed solid straight joint, I've literally just this second cut them off, bored a tube to the right internal diameters and sleeved and welded it all together. I'll get a pic up this eve of what I mean