X Type Diesel Wont Turn Over

Guest craig030774

Guest craig030774

hi i have a 2004 2.0d xtype that run fine up until i left it for a week whilst on holiday.

the battery is not very old and has had a full charge and i even tried jumping/towing off so not starter issue

the dash lights up but the temp light stays on even though it is cold and have seen on net that it may be a can bus fault??

the car does not turn over and i have been round and checked /cleaned all grounding points

had a hand held code reader but not showing any faults,but am awaiting a canbus scanner.

any ideas guys as the car is blocking my garage so cannot use the 2b

Sounds like the starter, however the bad thing you have done is bump it, 2.0 tdci engines are renowned for the timing chains slipping when bumped, this causes the cam retainer to rip apart, this will cause non starting, but it would normally show a cam sensor fault.

Guest Alan_builder

the car does not turn over and i have been round and checked /cleaned all grounding points

had a hand held code reader but not showing any faults,but am awaiting a canbus scanner.

any ideas guys as the car is blocking my garage so cannot use the 2b

My car won't turn over either! The crank shaft will but that is all I hope. I nearly said the engine wont turn over but that is confusing the issue too far.

Its seized!

Check the oil level.

Next. Just check it is out of gear, the car should then roll back and forward if not you gave another problem like the gearbox and it could be the lock on the Auto? gearbox.

Next, The engine should turn over by hand using a spanner on the front pulley. If it won't then it seized as it stopped last time it ran.

Guest Alan_builder

Sounds like the starter, however the bad thing you have done is bump it, 2.0 tdci engines are renowned for the timing chains slipping when bumped, this causes the cam retainer to rip apart, this will cause non starting, but it would normally show a cam sensor fault.

That sounds like the VW crankshaft timing pully with a rubber connection that slips! I think some Peugots have a similar problem.

That sounds like the VW crankshaft timing pully with a rubber connection that slips! I think some Peugots have a similar problem.

They are a nightmare alan, fortunatly the valves rarley get a good kicking but the downer is you have to buy the full head.. chain kit etc, cheaper to buy a second hand engine and drop it in... done a fair few mondeos/transits/jags.

Guest craig030774

Would be most grateful if you could ask about his fault . As I have the red light on next to temp gauge and is immobiliser light near gearstick is steady on. Have seen a picture on net which refers to a canbus failure but not heard or seen anything about a 15 amp fuse

Guest Alan_builder

Would be most grateful if you could ask about his fault . As I have the red light on next to temp gauge and is immobiliser light near gearstick is steady on. Have seen a picture on net which refers to a canbus failure but not heard or seen anything about a 15 amp fuse

If the immobilizer light is on that explains why it won't start. The ECU will inhibit most of the sars systems from working, eg; fuel pump, starter, sparks to name a few important items.

You will need the fault reader to see what caused the problem and also to reset the ECU once the problem has been fixed.

Guest Alan_builder

Think the immobiliser flashes if there is an error .well it did when I'd disconnected the transceiver on the ignition barrell

Hi Ceaig,

We can't tell if it is seized or inhibited from the data you have given us! I suspect it is inhibited.

As you could have caused the camshaft to jump a tooth or 2, you should turn it over by hand to check that there is no interference between valves and pistons, using the starter motor will as MarkB says knacker your engine even if it doesn't start. Let us know the result please.

Check all your fluids - oil water and break fluid. The mobilizer was designed to protect the engine as well as stop the car being stolen. so if the brake fluid is down it would be sensible to inhibit the car so you cant have an accident due to no brakes. I don't know that the Jag system does this but it is a simple check to clear the possibility.

So when you know the engine turns over by hand, plug in the code reader and tell us your fault found.

I take it you have looked for the switch and fuse as Chris said? and found?

done a cluster scan and the code for the pats system shows 55C anyone know what this is.

also got these dtc codes from the dash

E511

d900

A141

The codes pullable from the dash display unit mean nothing im afraid