Feels Like A Lack Of Fuel

Guest phil_d

Guest phil_d

After using my S7 most days this week for work it has developed a problem. It feels like it is running out of fuel, which is possible as the gauge is broken. So I filled it up, got about 1 mile from the garage and it died on me. It would crank over and sometimes the engine would tick over, but if I tried to put on any revs it just died again. Fortunately a fellow Hood owner was passing and helped my push it off the A59 onto a side road. I tried letting it cool down (as ity was very warm yesterday) but no different. I evently got it towed home checked that the fuel pump was pumping and that seemed ok. I did notice a split in the fuel pipe where it was attached to the carb, so I cut the pipe and retightened the clip. This seemed to help and it was ticking over nicely and would rev up ok. So I took it out for another spin, this time got about 400 yards along the road and it died again!

Any suggestions what to look at next. When I took the float out of the tank to check it, I did notice alot of crap in the bottom of the tank. I cleaned the filter in the tank, but it is possible that the carb could need a clean?

Certainly sounds like some of the debris in the tank is now exploring the carb jets. Clean all including accelerator pump jet, reset float level and fit an inline filter in the engine bay just in front of the carb where you can see it. Helps to see what is getting through the earlier filters. Other possibility is that there is enough debris in the tank to block the pickup.

Nigel

Guest mower man

I think you have spotted the prob ,clean the fuel system out ,pump ,lines ,tank and carb, all of it,if you have filter bin it if it is disposable or clean it out don't try starting it until you have done the lot and filled up with fresh fuel you should have many miles of fun HTH mower man :good:

Guest phil_d

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I will start with the fuel system and if that doesn't sort it continue with the ignition system. It did seem to give a good regular spark when I pulled the lead off the distributor and check it against the block.

Thanks

Phil

Guest Bazwaz

Phil

If silicone was used on the filler tube or sender unit it will now have the consistancy of elephant snot and will be floating round your tank causing fuel starvation symptoms.

Baz

Guest phil_d

Phil

If silicone was used on the filler tube or sender unit it will now have the consistancy of elephant snot and will be foating round your tank causing fuel starvation symptoms.

Baz

Baz

Funny you should say that, I did think the sealant around the sender unit was poor. Elephant snot is a good description and the floating debris in the tank could well be the same. Looks like a good clean is required.

Phil

I modded my tank due to sealing problems plus snotties floating about by cutting the top out of a ford tank and fitting it on with bolts and a cork gasket, the sender unit then just fits as it was supposed to without leaks, it makes life much easier if you need to check out the sender etc in the future.

Mike