Sliding Pillar Supension Help Needed

Guest dbutch90

Guest dbutch90

Hi, i recently purchased a 2b sliding pillar kitcar part built, but this is the first time i have incounted this type of suspension, i have looked though the forum and google but i have had no luck in finding a detailed diagram of what it should look like, has anyone diagrams, list of the parts used, the 4 build videos or a copy of them which would help me alot.

Guest adey1984

Could really do with a few pics too, mine differs left to right but not having a clue how it's ment to be means I can't strip it to bits. Maybe time to rip it to pieces and replace it with a double wishbone setup

Guest Ian Maycock

her are some pics of my setup (too big to put in one reply so have posted twice).

Has the suspension been started at all? on the sliding pillar you will need to butcher the hubs to remove the bottom tapered hole for the original ball joint.

If this has not been done then i suggest you save the hubs, if you have them for a wishbone conversion. the handling will be much better. having driven a sliding pillar for the past three years all i can say is that it is "adequate" i will be changing mine to wishbones this winter.

post-3043-0-44002900-1317673256_thumb.jpg

post-3043-0-18777000-1317673267_thumb.jpg

post-3043-0-80269500-1317673276_thumb.jpg

Guest Ian Maycock

Second post with more photos.

Let me know if you are going to continue with the sliding pillar and i will look in to a parts list for you.

Iggy

post-3043-0-25212900-1317673732_thumb.jpg

post-3043-0-38772100-1317673746_thumb.jpg

post-3043-0-39360400-1317673758_thumb.jpg

Guest adey1984

Cheers for that, I think one side is missing a few bits :-/, mines already on the car but I found the previous owner on here saying he'd had a crash, car drives fine tho I think he's rebuilt the suspension back up wrong

theres should be a rubber bush at the bottom,this can be made with big washers sandwiching some rubber.

Or get some anti vibration mounts off ebay that will want the center hole drilling out.,im buying new ones this week as one of mine is missing.

As for the spacer,get a big washer and file to shape.It should be angled slightly.

All info supplied to me by tazzzman after him giving my 2b sliding pillar the once over.

if you look at this pic.

http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=31948&pid=240317&st=0entry240317

youll see the big washer. When the car is sat on the floor there will be a gap at the bottom of the strut where you can see the rod.this gap should be filled with rubber so that the suspension is damped when topping out.imagine it to be a bump stop for for other way around,thats how it was explained to me.