Remote Oil Pressure Gauge

Guest danny_samb

Guest danny_samb

Hi all, I have a pinto engine, and purchased and adaptor to gointo the oil pressure switch location to allow another gauge as well as standard switch, but the adaptor is not long enough so the gauge sender hits the dipstick and won't get tight enough in the block, so what I'm thinking off is a piece of pipe with a 1/4 npt connecter to screw into the block and then another 1/4 npt the other end of pipe to go into adaptor. To relocate the adaptor, the question is what size pipe to use, I would like to use a clear pipe so I can see the oil flow, do I need to use braided clear hose or will non re inforced be ok.

Thanks

I had the same problem, fitted a longer adaptor, they do 2 lengths.

Yes you can fit a braided pipe and locate the sender where you wish just make sure there's enough flex to take up engine movement and you may need to earth the body of the sender.

Guest danny_samb

How would you earth it to the body, would utmost be easier to buy the bigger adaptor, where did you get it from. What size pipe would be best to use if went down the remote path, would rubber overbraided fuel hose be ok,

Car Builder Solutions, Rally Design, Demon Tweeks all do the longer adaptor, measure the one you've got ask for a bigger one.

The flexi pipe will been tapered threads to match adaptor and sender again these are available.

Earth the sender by wrapping wire round the thread as you attach it to the pipe or jubilee clip to the sender body.

Gauges measure resistance which is changed by heat, if the sender is not earthed (through the block) it sees full electrical resistance.

I had problems with a remote oil temp sender as the oil pipes were rubber, a simple earth from the remote adaptor restored readings.

Oil pressure can be as high as 90psi, 6 to 7 bar, best to use proper braided oil pipe.

Edited by Snapperpaul

Height is no problem, your just measuring pressure.

A simple wire from sender body to chassis will work, it's just about completing an electrical circuit.

If you use the longer brass adaptor you won't need to earth the sender.

If you use ptfe tape don't wrap all the tread leave some bare to make the earth through.

Edited by Snapperpaul