To Wrap Or Not To Wrap?

Guest mikeh

Am nearing the end of my Zero build. Originally I decided on a S/steel lower body with Oxford blue nose, arches and an alloy bonnet/ scuttle that would later be painted to match the nose, etc. I have recently been wondering about vinyl wrapping the scuttle and bonnet rather than painting. Obviously, I could try to source vinyl wrap of the same shade of blue or could go for something different.

So a few questions:

Does anyone have experience of getting vinyl wrap in the GBS Oxford Blue colour or does anyone know the colour code?

Where did people get their wrap from as there is some pretty cheap stuff on Ebay (but I guess the price says a lot about the quality)?

If someone has experience of 'wrapping', is it still feasible in the winter months or is it a summer job?

Has anyone gone for something a bit different? I am half minded to consider having a Union Jack covering the bonnet and scuttle (though might have a few problems blending together); has anyone else tried anything like this and if so, where did their source the 'patterned' wrap?

Mike

I say go to a local sign shop and see what they got to match up for you.

I doubt youll get it exact.

You can get a picture printed onto vinyl then apply as one big sheet.

You could also layer up to get the desired effect.

Its best done in warm conditions its not very flexible or forgiving when cold.

Also if its an awkward shape....Leave to the pros.

I say go to a local sign shop and see what they got to match up for you.

I doubt youll get it exact.

You can get a picture printed onto vinyl then apply as one big sheet.

You could also layer up to get the desired effect.

Its best done in warm conditions its not very flexible or forgiving when cold.

Also if its an awkward shape....Leave to the pros.

Thanks for the advice - its off to the local sign shop for me! Have you tried wrapping on your car, if so, are there any issues about heat transference from the exhaust. Mike

Graham Cole (GDC) wrapped his Zero and did an excellent job if it. He may chip in, if not it may be worth sending him a PM. Also Hammy has done some on his Zero and has also done an excellent job so may be able to offer some advice.

its easy to do, I dontmy zero with matt black,

First off I bought some really cheap stuff from ebay, think it was £29 for a 10 meter roll, this will be enough for the outside of the car, If you are doing intewrnal panels then you will need more,

The cheap stuff is hard to work with but manged it on my own with some decent results for a first timer, My thoughts were that if it all goes wrong then I have only wasted 30 quid, the cheap stuff has been on for a few months now and has held up well, even next to the exhaust,

My plan for winter is to buy the more expensive stuff and take my time,

P.s,

I found it easier to make up a water/washing up liquid sulution and put it in a water spray bottle, cover the whole panel, lay the vinyl on and squeegy the sulution out, this worked well on flat panels but you need to stretch the vinyl on more complicated areas and need it to stick straight away, but most of the panels on the zero are not that complicated in shape.

908ed26b.jpg

Thats the only one I have, I'd get it out of the garage and take some more but someone has decided to dig the drive up and there is a 3 foot wide trench now infron tof the garage, Lol

Thanks all for your contributions. Given the current outside temperature, I think I might hold off and do the wrapping when it warms up a bit! There is a really interesting blue irridescent wrap on one of the websites -hmmm!

Cheers all.

Mike