Takes Ages To Fire Up!

Guest smegheadsteve

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mower man

A few guesses, float hieght settings , weepy float valve, low compressions ,tight tappets , lazy starter robbing volts to coil , bad earths dirty ,damp coil tower or distrib cap , battery loosing chargeover night , alternator not charging loose fan belt . Is it points or electronic ,some of the points replace ment kits are worse than what they replace,can you substitute the dizzy with a spare Theres a few things to check HTH mower man :good:

Guest smegheadsteve

Yes,I am using choke to start from cold.

Dizzy?what's one of them?points?were they not around in the 60s!(ha ha)Using Megajolt mower man.(This is were you reply"at least my car works using dizzy and points"thought I'd get in there first)

Thanks for the replys.Have had carbs off,had a look inside float bowls(bike carbs)checked they werent stuck or anything.My knowledge of bike carbs ends there though unfortunately!

I will check the other things.

Cheers guys.

Steve.

Guest mower man

Hi I wasn't Having a pop mate, going the megajolt way myself over the winter but listed things that I 've had over the last 40+ years and reading your answers first thing would be valve clearances and then a dry /wet compression test or cyl leak test which will give you an idea as to ring /bore/valve condition.Try temp wiring the coil to a slave battery to remove coil vlt robbing by iffy starter is another approach . Will have some more thinks mower man

Guest smegheadsteve

Hi.Didn't think you were having a pop mate,I was just trying to have a laugh abouts dizzys and points,purely because I've moved away from them!

I set the valve clearances up when fitting the Newman cam to the specs they supplied.So I am hoping they are correct.

Just wish I had done one job at a time,and checked everything still worked!

Really bugging me the fact that it fires straight away when warm.

If I had compression issues,would this improve starting on a warm engine?I have had the head off after all.Dodgy gasket(or dodgy mechanic.That will be me then!)

Regards.

Steve.

Guest merc190provan

Hi there,

have you tried popping the plugs out to see if they are wet after trying to start it from cold ?? This will tell you if you are getting fuel or not, can your fuel tank breathe ? Try starting it with the fuel cap off. Just my thoughts. try them out.

Marty Smith

Guest smegheadsteve

I did think about stale fuel,wish it was this simple!when I took the car off the road I drained as much fuel out of the tank as I could,then put a fresh can in a couple of months ago.Haven't changed the two fuel filters though.Can these perish over time?

I will take the plugs out and have a look.

Steve.

I still think it could be poor fuel supply, when its running are you driving it around under load or is it just stationary? I would check the filters if you have not already, is there a filter in the tank where the fuel pick up pipe goes? if not there may be lumps of crud in there floating about and blocking the feed.

Guest smegheadsteve

Just stationary when it's running.

No filter in tank,outlet at bottom corner of tank,gravity fed down to a filter,then through facet solid state pump,then to engine bay,through another filter to pressure regulator then to carbs.

Guest smegheadsteve

Ok.Just tried starting again.Cranked it over a good half a dozen times untill battery started complaining!Removed plugs and they were dry.They did smell of fuel but they looked dry.Would you expect the plugs to look wet?

Cheers.

Steve.

Facet solid state pump - don't get Nigel started on them!

The bullet type metal filter going into these pumps have a nasty habit of clogging/collapsing, see iff you can take it out of the system or run a 6mm drill through the filter to remove any blockages that may be in there.

Dry plugs after all that cranking really points to fuel not getting to the engine

muck in the fuel filter? dodgy pump?

try spraying easy start or petrol down the carbs to see if that gets it going when its cold, that should tell you if its a fuel problem or not.

if it starts straight away, work your way through the fuel system changing parts, starting with cheapest of course, fuel filter, check no blocks in the fuel hose, check pump works, see if you can borrow someones carbs for a bit and so on.

have you got any details on the cam you fitted?

when i fitted my piper 300 to my pinto it wouldnt start on the standard starter motor (although it had something to do with being high comp too) soon as i changed to a high torque starter it was fine

my gut feeling was becuase the cam has so much overlap the starter needs to turn the engine over quite quickly to get it started, and because it was high comp it couldnt quite get it there. but it was fine when the engine was warm weirdly

i've heard of people using 2 car batteries in series (just on the starter motor) to try jump it into life. might be worth a try, just to see if it is the problem, not sure how safe it is though!

as you have megajolt, plug it into the computer and play about with the crank sensor offset, try 1 degree at a time each way, see if it has any effect, if not put it back how it was.

for the sake of it i'd do a compression test too

also, are you using a vernier cam pulley with your newcam cam?

thats all i can think of...

Same problem years ago. changed the plugs and it fired straight up I have also known if WD40 or any water repellent has been used near the plugs it acts as a penetrating oil and can get between the plug body and the porcelain causing poor starting when cold.

HTH jon