Rover 420 Sump.

Guest bill brown

Guest bill brown

higuys,

i have a superspec.which i am converting to an ally sump off a 420 also the pick up arm..so if anybody has one or can point me in the right direction.i would be most grateful...cheers guys...billy..

Billy,

There are a couple (or were) on e-bay yesterday. I did the same conversion on mine (cost about £50 for the sump and pick-up), it's straight forward enough. Even the pick-up bolts straight on, but don't forget the o-ring that sits in the top of the pick-up arm. There's just a bit of slight fiddling removing and refitting the sump, nothing to worry about.

You will also need longer sump bolts as the ally sump flange is around 5-6mm thick compared to the steel sump, but beware there is one longer bolt, remember where this comes from - think its one of the corner ones by the gearbox. Apparently it's important!

Get a new sump gasket as well as they are different to the steel sump gasket. A spare pair of hands in helping to get the sump aligned with the new gasket in place would be an idea as well because although the gasket has locating lugs etc, it does move quite easily.

HTH

Al

Guest Peter Kelly

Hi Billy, I am curious as to which engine you have in your Superspec. When I was shopping for a new sump for my Tseries engine Rover came up with an alloy sump which bore no resemblance to the steel one which I was trying to replace.

Peter.

Hi Billy, I am curious as to which engine you have in your Superspec. When I was shopping for a new sump for my Tseries engine Rover came up with an alloy sump which bore no resemblance to the steel one which I was trying to replace.

Peter.

Peter,

The alloy sump is visually very different, shallower, more profiles on the outside and inside and if you are unlucky, a socking big mounting bracket on the side which is a total pig to remove. but the mounting flange to the block is identical. The gaskets differ also.

Al

Guest Peter Kelly

I ended up buying a sump from the breakers yard off a T series Rover engine. I also had the oil pick up.

I cut one inch from the sump myself using an angle grinder. After carefully marking it in pencil.

I then took the sump to a local enthusiast who welded a sheet of thicker steel to the bottom and a new drain plug in the side.

The pick up pipe I took to a local engineer who first set the pick up to a metal plate. Then he cut an inch from the pick up pipe and support and re-welded them. Only a small amount of grinding was required from the support bracket to ensure a perfect fit.

I did not have to alter the dip stick. I now fill the oil to the upper mark on the dip stick and have run the engine for over 2000miles without a hitch.

The other thing I did was to fit a remote filter using a sandwich plate.

I have searched for photos to post, but cannot find them. Sorry.

Pete.

Guest bill brown

thanks for the info pete,i,ve bought an ally sump..+pickup pipe off ebay..AL,milton kindly put me on to them...now already to go..i also have a mx5 which i was going to put the mx5 engine in the superspec.but i,ve changed my mind.to big of a job for me..so i will put it up for sale on the forum...